Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline fortunz  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 2:08:22 AM(UTC)
fortunz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I'll post a link after HH's story on the topic goes up. In the meantime, it's quite a sad turn of events. This really isn't, I believe, about Atom not being good, it went from really bad in that early generation where it still managed to sell heavily thanks to its price, to being an amazing fanless, low power, long battery life product that packed a lot punch for the money. If you were a student and wanted a light quiet productivity machine, a Windows Atom 2 in 1 could be an amazing bargain at under $200. There are headphones pricier than that.

Of course, the price was its downfall. Those first generation netbooks sold for $500+, which is even more in today's inflation adjusted dollars. The endless erosion of price killed profitability, and while Intel tried to open up markets for Atom smartphones to compete with qualcomm and samsung, they never made much progress. As I understand it, Cherry Trail will continue to be sold, and pentiums and celerons based on higher geared versions of the tech will be made, but newer Atom generations won't be pursued. RIP Atom. You saved me a lot money over the years.

Edit: HH's story is live: http://hothardware.com/n...-low-cost-tablet-markets

Edited by user Saturday, April 30, 2016 10:49:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added link

Offline tmanvest  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 2:12:14 AM(UTC)
tmanvest

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
im a little thankful that its coming to an end. though the chip was ok in most forms it was to weak to do what most people wanted to do
Offline fortunz  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 2:42:13 AM(UTC)
fortunz

No way. It was fantastic for millions of people. And it isn't really being replaced by anything more capable -- those chips already existed for those who needed more. Atom will leave a real void in its wake.
Offline tmanvest  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 3:21:24 AM(UTC)
tmanvest

United States

what about amds e series processors? wouldnt those serve as a sutable replacement for the standard user.
Offline fortunz  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 3:55:03 AM(UTC)
fortunz

I suppose in the very small category of set-top/minipc Atoms, maybe? Though even there, probably low end A-series APUs instead. In mobile where Atom does more volume, I certainly haven't heard of anyone trying to choose between an e-series and an Atom since Bay Trail for sure, maybe before that. Given AMD's technological slowdown hit them especially hard in the areas of heat and power consumption, I think Atom would be a particularly bad thing to compare E-series to because Atom has done fantastic in the very thin, very light tablet and 2 in 1 space.

I've used AMD on everything desktop I've had since 2002. On the mobile side where my own priorities rank battery life and cool and quiet operation very high, I go Intel, and frankly, that choice gotten easier and easier as time has passed. Mobile users who want a largish, louder budget gaming laptop can get a lot of value from AMD APUs, but A series APUs in laptops have never really been in competition with Atom either.

In the world after Zen, who knows? Maybe if AMD really has caught up and Zen is a particular versatile infrastructure, maybe they can gear down and take advantage of this opening. That would be surprising. I'm not aware of any other infrastructure that ranges from high end desktop to silent tablet without so much retooling that it isn't the same infrastructure, and I can't imagine AMD can really afford to pursue that space right now anyway. I think they may have little choice but to focus on retaining their iGPU budget gaming advantage and retaking some space for Core i.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 10:45:22 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I feel like Intel ending certain processors is a good thing. This could pave the way for more efficient and cost-effective processors coming our way. As the new Intel Compute stick was announced, I am sure Intel is already working on the next one. They won't just put any old processor in a Compute Stick. If we know anything about the processor market, it's that they(Intel) probably already has a roadmap for the next 3-4 years and plan to release something maybe this or next years. We will see. Gotta make light of what you *DO* have to go on though. No need to be down and RIP, look to the future! :D
Offline fortunz  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 5:58:39 PM(UTC)
fortunz

Atom deserves to be recognized for all the good it's done and in IMO, it will be missed. I'm not depressed, I'm just aware of the unique spaces it filled. Man, who would want you guys at their funeral? "Yeah, well, they were alright I guess, but I'm sure someone better will come along. We're probably better off without them!" <- not the sort of eulogy anyone wants. ;)

I prefer Core M to Atom in an obvious kind of way - many of the same benefits but with a lot more power. But it's also more expensive. Atom brought certain premium luxuries (like silent x86 computing) to the masses.

Offline Device Unknown  
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 6:16:50 PM(UTC)
Device Unknown

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I had a buddy that did high end car audio. ANd he would subcontract to me PC builds to be integrated into these vehicles. My first one I did was with a atom. It was HORRIBLE. Customer was NOT happy. I ended up using a laptop motherboard. Then I went with VIA. Had good luck with VIA systems in autos. Plenty of oomph for what we had them doing. Some customers wanted more capabilities so I would put high end intel systems in, but the cost to ruggedize and integrate them was too limiting to all but the most demanding customers.

That was the 1 and only Atom experience I ever had so not sad by it fading away.

Offline fortunz  
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 6:46:22 PM(UTC)
fortunz

How does one ruggedize something like that?

Temps are the big concern right? Both the really high heat with that windows magnified solar heat as well as the big temperature changes affecting the metals across the entire board then getting hit with a/c and then the reverse in winter. Expanding and contracting over and over and wearing connections. I'm not sure how caps would respond. But I like technical details so if you're in the mood to share, it would be of interest.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#10 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 7:23:32 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: fortunz Go to Quoted Post
How does one ruggedize something like that?

Temps are the big concern right? Both the really high heat with that windows magnified solar heat as well as the big temperature changes affecting the metals across the entire board then getting hit with a/c and then the reverse in winter. Expanding and contracting over and over and wearing connections. I'm not sure how caps would respond. But I like technical details so if you're in the mood to share, it would be of interest.

Insulation and liquid cooling for ruggedization? I've never heard of that xD

Offline tmanvest  
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2016 12:47:33 AM(UTC)
tmanvest

United States

the atom was intels response to arm based computers. when that failed they tried getting android/windows combined systems(those seem to have faded). yeah they made an impact on low end computing but not as big as intel could have made it had they done better integrating it with android
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#12 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2016 3:01:16 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: tmanvest Go to Quoted Post
the atom was intels response to arm based computers. when that failed they tried getting android/windows combined systems(those seem to have faded). yeah they made an impact on low end computing but not as big as intel could have made it had they done better integrating it with android

Well, I guess their removal of it makes room for new work to be done!

Offline tmanvest  
#13 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2016 3:23:05 AM(UTC)
tmanvest

United States

i really hope they build where they left a void
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2016 10:06:21 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: tmanvest Go to Quoted Post
i really hope they build where they left a void

There really wouldn't be a reason not too, unless they are working on buying a tech company like Qualcom.

Edited by user Sunday, May 01, 2016 10:07:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Can't spell xD