Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline digitaldd  
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 09, 2016 6:10:53 PM(UTC)
digitaldd

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I haven't had a media PC in a long time, when I did web streaming worked for most of what i needed and for everything else the Boxee software handled it. Anyway a lot of people have asked me for advice on recording free over the air TV and I usually recommend a Mediasonic Homeworx digital converter box and attaching a USB hard drive to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Me...W180STB&tag=rnwff-20

Offline fortunz  
#17 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 6:19:24 PM(UTC)
fortunz

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: digitaldd Go to Quoted Post
I haven't had a media PC in a long time, when I did web streaming worked for most of what i needed and for everything else the Boxee software handled it. Anyway a lot of people have asked me for advice on recording free over the air TV and I usually recommend a Mediasonic Homeworx digital converter box and attaching a USB hard drive to it.

That's an interesting little box. It makes sense that it could be so simple now. You don't have to encode anything as in the analog days, you can just stream copy the mpeg or h264 that's being broadcast, so the hardware can be really basic.

Offline Mitchell  
#18 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 9:18:23 PM(UTC)
Mitchell

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: fortunz Go to Quoted Post
The fee can be monthly or yearly. It adds up. I highly recommend anyone so inclined wait for various lifetime deals. Even at full price, it's often a bargain, but Tivo frequently discounts their previous generation devices with lifetime for a song. I've seen a bunch deals on Roamios (the generation of tivo before Bolt) that come with lifetime over the past year as they get ready to move on, and it won't be all that long before at least some Bolts get the same treatment.

Tivos can last for many years, those lifetime purchases can save a boatload of money.

Yes great point and with the 4k Bolt stream units chances are you wont look to be upgrading anytime soon.

Offline Mitchell  
#19 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 9:25:17 PM(UTC)
Mitchell

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: digitaldd Go to Quoted Post

Ive had one and a similar one I think they are all made by the same company it was great for a single TV but both my units died fast within 6 months. Possibly bad luck or too cheaply made. It was fine while they lasted it certainly is a cheap enough start to see if OTA is right for you. Its what got me started to see what's possible with OTA and whether I could survive without Satellite.