Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline augiearvizo  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 6:56:38 AM(UTC)
augiearvizo

Groups: Registered

Presently in different rooms I am running a Nexus Player and Minix Neo X8-Plus with both using different versions of Android but run XBMC/KODI and Plex. I am curious if the investment in a full fledged computer like an Intel NUC or equivalent would be well worth the money and novices who are unfamiliar with my setup can pickup a remote or keyboard and quickly get to what they are looking for.

I am curious what HTPC setups members of the forum are running and their intended use.

I have used Plex, WDTV-Live, Nexus Player, Minix Neo and other Android Mini-PC devices. In addition I use various Ro[censored] and Smart TV apps built into the Vizio tvs. And of course Windows Media Center. But for the most part it seems like I need to teach everyone which HDMI input is used for what and I am hoping someone can give me some pointers on which platform I should consider that can give me an all-in-one experience for local files and streaming online services.

I am considering an Nvidia Shield TV and getting an HD HomeRun device that can stream the cable feed but am not sure if that would offer a considerable improvement vs the Nexus Player.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 12:22:51 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 43 post(s)
For anHTPC, I'd go with Win10 if it is for gaming. If it is for streaming movies, idk. Have you tried Amazon's fire stick?
thanks 1 user thanked Blackhawk8100 for this useful post.
augiearvizo on 11/16/2015(UTC)
Offline StaticFX  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 1:31:36 PM(UTC)
StaticFX

Man
United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
XMBC is already a top choice for HTPCs there is a Linux Distro (XBMC Live Linux) designed for HTPCs - as far as windows... not win 10. They did not include Media Center (not even sure if you can get it for win 10??)

thanks 1 user thanked StaticFX for this useful post.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 2:29:25 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: StaticFX Go to Quoted Post
XMBC is already a top choice for HTPCs there is a Linux Distro (XBMC Live Linux) designed for HTPCs - as far as windows... not win 10. They did not include Media Center (not even sure if you can get it for win 10??)

I only say Win10 for gaming as test have shown it is better thanSteamOS.

thanks 1 user thanked Blackhawk8100 for this useful post.
Offline acarzt  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 3:58:40 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: augiearvizo Go to Quoted Post
Presently in different rooms I am running a Nexus Player and Minix Neo X8-Plus with both using different versions of Android but run XBMC/KODI and Plex. I am curious if the investment in a full fledged computer like an Intel NUC or equivalent would be well worth the money and novices who are unfamiliar with my setup can pickup a remote or keyboard and quickly get to what they are looking for.

I am curious what HTPC setups members of the forum are running and their intended use.

I have used Plex, WDTV-Live, Nexus Player, Minix Neo and other Android Mini-PC devices. In addition I use various Ro[censored] and Smart TV apps built into the Vizio tvs. And of course Windows Media Center. But for the most part it seems like I need to teach everyone which HDMI input is used for what and I am hoping someone can give me some pointers on which platform I should consider that can give me an all-in-one experience for local files and streaming online services.

I am considering an Nvidia Shield TV and getting an HD HomeRun device that can stream the cable feed but am not sure if that would offer a considerable improvement vs the Nexus Player.

Believe it or not, Tivo actually makes a pretty good solution that lets you record 4 shows at once, and stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Vudu, YouTube, Pandora, and a few others. You can also get Tivo mini's for other rooms that will connect back to the primary unit to stream recorded shows and live TV.

The catch is, that it only works with Cable providers. So it will not work with DirecTV and fiber providers like U-Verse and Google Fiber.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 5:37:54 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Mediacom is bbbaaaadddd xD
Offline augiearvizo  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 5:48:29 PM(UTC)
augiearvizo

Thanks guys. I havent tried an XBMC Linux distribution but I could give it a chance. A friend of mine was telling me about the Fire Stick but he was using a modded one that ran something different than Amazon ecosystem.

When making an HTPC do people make it with DVR capabilities and with ATSC tuner or the signal is copy protected and doesn't allow it?

Offline StaticFX  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 6:24:30 PM(UTC)
StaticFX

Man
United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I am not sure.. I mean, I know people do mkae their HTPCs DVR's ( I dont know how) - as far as the tuner card, as long as you get the channel (descrambled ), you should be able to record it? i would think
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 7:06:10 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: StaticFX Go to Quoted Post
I am not sure.. I mean, I know people do mkae their HTPCs DVR's ( I dont know how) - as far as the tuner card, as long as you get the channel (descrambled ), you should be able to record it? i would think

You would think xD

Offline fortunz  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 7:41:19 PM(UTC)
fortunz

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I use NPVR to record on a Hauppauge 2250 from Windows, have since way back when it was called GBPVR. Actually, I used to use a Plextor tv402u which could record straight to divx, an ability that was much cooler in 2003.

I have often thought of building a little dedicated device, maybe fanless with atom, and running mythtv with the same card.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 11:55:51 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Maybe OBS on Win10 to capture the screen itself? IDK :P
Offline tmanvest  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 1:05:02 AM(UTC)
tmanvest

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
for a htpc you could build your own pc which isnt to hard. use pcpartpicker to select your parts. and if you will only be watching movies and surfing the web an a6 or a8 apu would be suffcient in my eyes and ubuntu with vlc media player can handle most if not all of your needs. the only real issue is if you try to use bluerays
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 1:32:31 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Shameless plug here, but I have the older Compute Stick, but the newer one may be better for ya: http://www.intel.com/buy...intel-stk1aw32scr-501535 :P Maybe an Elgato to capture? IDK, what can you do with 2 USB ports? A Wireless Keyboard/Mouse (Mouse USB receiver into keyboard), and a cap card through USB? It may work... http://www.intel.com/buy...intel-stk1aw32scr-501535
Offline Mitchell  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2016 10:07:30 PM(UTC)
Mitchell

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Get a TIVO. There is something to be said about simplicity of control, playback, recording, streaming. I did the PC DVR and there is always something to tinker with and they are lousy to control and sometimes upgrade. Plus the cost of the hardware and possible noise issues.

TiVo BOLT 500GB - when on sale sells for $230.00

Comes with 1 year free Tivo service.

Has 4 built in HD Tuners - works with cable or OTA.

You can upgrade the 500GB hard drive easily. I think 3TB without special formatting 6TB with special formatting. I slapping in a 2TB drive in about 20 minutes.

It functions as a HD TV Tuner so you can use it on one HDTV and its buttery smooth controls.

You can skip commercials with a touch of a button no Fast Forward and getting a peak of whats to come.

It also works as a search and playback device for Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, and TV stations you receive taking the guesswork out of finding an episode.

It can stream 4k content.

STREAM IT - The bolt has built in streaming. I use Fire TV sticks around the house with the Tivo beta app to stream any of the content I have in the TIVO around the house to any of the TV's.

You can access it from your phone or tablet too.

There is a yearly fee but its so worth not putting together a PC DVR and just going for the simplicity of the TIVO.

Offline fortunz  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, June 08, 2016 11:10:00 PM(UTC)
fortunz

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
The fee can be monthly or yearly. It adds up. I highly recommend anyone so inclined wait for various lifetime deals. Even at full price, it's often a bargain, but Tivo frequently discounts their previous generation devices with lifetime for a song. I've seen a bunch deals on Roamios (the generation of tivo before Bolt) that come with lifetime over the past year as they get ready to move on, and it won't be all that long before at least some Bolts get the same treatment.

Tivos can last for many years, those lifetime purchases can save a boatload of money.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 08, 2016 11:10:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: correction