Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Manduh  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 08, 2013 8:02:05 PM(UTC)
Manduh

Groups: Registered
Woman
Canada

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Well guys I'm finally going to do it!!!  I'm ready to go shopping this Saturday and need some quick input if anyone is around.

Because it's easier for me I basically picked items I liked then narrowed them down to what's in stock at the computer store near me so I can just go in and get it all at once.  I was hoping some of the members here could look over my list and let me know if it will all work together and if I'm leaving anything out... here's the list:

Case: $95 Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Mid Tower Case w/ Window http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_112&item_id=038223

PSU: $105: Corsair Professional Series Modular HX650 80PLUS Gold Certified 650W  http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_443&item_id=053092

Motherboard: $165 MSI MSI Z87-G45  http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_1207_1206_1201&item_id=060707#Back  

CPU: $255: Intel Core i5-4670K Quad-Core Processor - Socket LGA1150, 3.4Ghz, 6MB L3 Cache, Gen4: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_1210_65&item_id=060639

SSD: $140: Corsair Neutron Series GTX 120G 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State  http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1088&item_id=052114

RAM: $75: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL)   http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_312_613&item_id=038459

DVD Drive: $20: ASUS (DRW-24F1ST/BLK/B) Internal 24x DVD Writer http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=3_61&item_id=060114

O/S: $110 Windows 7 Home Premium : http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=530&item_id=037803

PLUS: I already have a Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" HDD and a VisionTek Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 that I will be switching to the new build.

I hope I did enough research and learning from you all over the years for you to give me an A+ on my selections but remember I'm still a huge n00b when it comes to actually putting this build in motion :)
Thanks ahead of time for your input!

UPDATE:

P.S Thanks slugbug for the help tonight and over the last cpl yrs, same to rrplay and realneil! And of course Dave and Marco for your site and reviews which have helped in making this happen! 

Offline Super Dave  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 08, 2013 10:12:30 PM(UTC)
Super Dave

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Your selections look good to me, Manduh - A+![:D]

Offline rrplay  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 08, 2013 10:20:21 PM(UTC)
rrplay

Hey hey ! ManduHH looking like a solid A+ build in the mix from here [Y] 

Maybe get one these  much better than stock cooler and some [good non-conductive] TIM like Tuniq or Arctic  MX-2 or MX4 or something like  Nocutua NH-1

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe CPU Cooler

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=129&item_id=044952 

WTG  [:)]

Offline Super Dave  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 08, 2013 10:30:31 PM(UTC)
Super Dave

...however a bigger PSU might give you a little future-proofing in case you ever decide to install a hotter GPU or more peripherals...

Offline Manduh  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 08, 2013 10:31:45 PM(UTC)
Manduh

Woman
Canada

Thanks guys! I am too excited to wait until Saturday so I might just go tomorrow :) I'll post pics and progress updates. Hopefully it goes smoothly! :D

Offline rrplay  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 08, 2013 10:42:20 PM(UTC)
rrplay

yep Super Dave got some real savvy advice too ManduHH  about getting a bigger PSU for future proofing lot of good one in the 750/850W range for a bit more headroom see about the Gold rating  in case you do some coin mine 24/7 or somethin and save some $$ in the long run with efficiency.

Offline Manduh  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 08, 2013 11:22:28 PM(UTC)
Manduh

Woman
Canada

I was checking out some of the higher watt gold rated ones earlier for future planning, but I basically only play Sims 3 (rarely anymore) and Minecraft, which, with Optifine my current card works great. I doubt I would need anything more powerful that's for sure. I mean I really don't even need a gaming rig to begin with, speed for multitasking and bootup times are what I'm mainly looking for, so for now this will be good :) I am considering getting that cooler though. :D  

Offline Super Dave  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 08, 2013 11:31:08 PM(UTC)
Super Dave

Manduh wrote:
but remember I'm still a huge n00b when it comes to actually putting this build in motion :)

I disagree. A noob would have selected Windows 8, but you know better!

Offline Clixxer  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 08, 2013 11:34:01 PM(UTC)
Clixxer

My only suggestion is like rrplay said get an aftermarket cooler, and unless you plan to OC your ram I would look for something with lower timings in the 1600 range instead of the 1866. Yours is currently 9-10-9 and I know you could find some 8-8-8, 8-9-8 or atleast 9-9-9 for the same price or less. In the end it wont make to to much of a difference just personal preference as I have always gone with lower timing vs high Mhz. That is why I got Corsair Dominator kit for my current PC, its 8-8-8.

But overall very well thought out! A+! If you didn't change a thing you would be perfect still.

Offline slugbug  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 08, 2013 11:58:22 PM(UTC)
slugbug

Man

Glad I could help Manduh. Might be best to get a better cooler as rrplay suggested. The stock Intel cooler is barely adequate.

Offline realneil  
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2013 11:07:58 AM(UTC)
realneil

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man

Did you head to the store yet?

Your parts selections are good. That CPU doesn't generate a ton of heat unless you OC it. An H60 would do the deed for that CPU handily. H80 if you must have ~more~ like us guys are prone to doing.

We must have pictures when it's up and running,.......[:)]

Offline Manduh  
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2013 11:48:13 AM(UTC)
Manduh

Woman
Canada

It's all up and running, I'm using it now!! :D  I took a lot of pics throughout the build so I will be uploading them once I go through them all.  

There were a cpl issues at the start. The pc store I went to was pretty good with me and they were quick with getting everything off my list. Actually a little too quick. They ended up selling me Windows Server instead of Win 7 but luckily I noticed when I stopped for coffee before leaving town, I had to go back and exchange it. Then after getting home and going through all the parts I realized they also sold me the wrong PSU, it's still 650w but it's bronze not gold :(  I didn't feel like driving back (the store is almost an hour away) or waiting another day so I just went with it.  The build was pretty easy for me, however I had to watch some YT vids for the cooler (I ended up getting the Hyper 212 Evo and some MX4), since I have never installed one before. The only other problem was the tightness of all the connectors, especially the 24pin one! It took a lot of fighting to get it to latch onto the board. My thumbs are sore today from all the pinching and pushing lol. I stayed up pretty late last night to install the o/s and drivers because I just HAD to try out my new rig! :D  So far I've noticed it's FAST at bootup and restarting, wow I'm not used to this luxury haha.  I was always jealous of my man using the RokBox and secretly regret giving it to him haha, but now I have my own quick system!

I am so proud of being able to do this, and I'm pretty happy about how clean of a build it turned out to be! I couldn't thank you all enough for teaching me everything!! 

Ok I'm off to finish installing a couple programs and clean up my mess of boxes, then I will get some pictures up for you guys... 

P.S. I also picked up a SteelSeries Merc Stealth keyboard, damn it's gorgeous!! (I've never owned a "real" keyboard before heehee

Offline realneil  
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2013 1:31:50 PM(UTC)
realneil

Man

Manduh wrote:
It's all up and running, I'm using it now!! :D
Oh, cool!

Manduh wrote:
I realized they also sold me the wrong PSU, it's still 650w but it's bronze not gold :(  
But that goes to power efficiency, and not overall quality. I've been doing great with Bronze certified PSUs for a long time. It will be OK.

Manduh wrote:
I am so proud of being able to do this, and I'm pretty happy about how clean of a build it turned out to be!
I'll bet it's great. I know that there is real satisfaction that comes with building your own PC. Cant wait for the pics,.......

Offline Manduh  
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2013 5:37:32 PM(UTC)
Manduh

Woman
Canada

Photos are ready :D  I just put them on Flikr:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/manduhsecord/sets/72157635010944263/

Let me know what you think !! 

Offline realneil  
#15 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2013 5:48:22 PM(UTC)
realneil

Man

It looks good. I'm thinking of using the same CPU for the next build that I don't have the cash for. Performance is good?