Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline paul  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 9:03:12 AM(UTC)
News

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Despite the many doom and gloom predictions in the PC market, worldwide system shipments during the third quarter didn't fall as much as expected (only minus 1.7 percent, according to IDC). Partially as a result, hard drive maker Seagate Technology performed better than expected during the company's first quarter of its fiscal year 2015 ended October 3, 2014.

How well? Seagate reported a profit of $381 million, or $1.13 per share, on revenue of $3.8 billion for the quarter. On average, analysts weren't expecting Seagate's profit to be quite as high, though they probably didn't take into account that the PC market is doing better than expected, along with continued upgrades since Microsoft yanked support for Windows XP earlier this year.

Seagate NAS

"We achieved strong financial results in the first fiscal quarter, driven by consistent execution and better-than-anticipated market demand for our PC and cloud storage products," said Steve Luczo, Seagate’s chairman and chief executive officer. "We continue to improve our position in the evolving storage market by leveraging and investing in our core storage technology and expanding our product portfolio with cloud systems and solutions and integrated flash technology."

Seagate's also been winning over businesses by pushing the capacity limits of today's mechanical based hard disk drives (HDDs). The company was the first to ship an 8 terabyte HDD earlier this summer, right around the same time it came out with five new NAS boxes. Seagate's also been benefiting from its acquisition of LSI's flash business, which it picked up for $450 million back in May.
Offline infinityzen1  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 10:38:58 AM(UTC)
InfinityzeN1

I've been using their large HDD for my NAS and haven been disappointed. Just wish I hadn't bought five of their 6TB drives only a couple of months before the 8TB came out.

Offline pancake effect  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 1:26:56 PM(UTC)
Pancake Effect

Mind you this was a few years ago, but I was in charge of project of changing out hard-drives. Half of them I went with WD, the other half SG. I didn't have one WD fail over the next few years...SG I had multiple fail. Ever since then I only buy WD.

But this was obviously not a scientific test. Maybe that particular model of SG was just bad. But I dunno, that's my biased opinion for what it's worth lol.

Offline InfinityzeN1  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:40:42 AM(UTC)
InfinityzeN1

Depends on the line you buy. Driving I'm buying are their professional ones with 5 year warranty.  Haven't ever had an issue with them.