Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#16 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 9:42:07 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tatoosh Go to Quoted Post
Eek! Whatever generation CPU I got? Ryzen 5 from your link. I looked at the page link you supplied so I am hoping that maybe I have now in my possession a Pinnacle Ridge Ryzen 2600 CPU with provided cooler? Puzzled look as I fumble with the box, no mention of ridges, valleys, lakes, or mountains on it.

What is this RX-2x00 vs RX-2x00G/GE? I found some explanations on the web, but still pretty uncertain of what they mean, which is preferable and where to go ... I am looking at DDR4-2666 and DDR4-3000 but in 4gb sticks.

Thank you very much for swatting the display questions so succinctly! Well done, Blackhawk! And the CPU and motherboard sound pretty zoomy! First new MoBo I've had in over a decade. Sweet! (Well, save the mining motherboard ... for sale cheap ... hah hah hah!)

Found this from Patriot: DDR4-3000

Alright, so I will break this down (I hope).

What you have (if you actually bought what I recommended) is Ryzen 5 2600. The "codename" for this is Pinnacle Ridge. The difference between 2x00 (Like your R5 2600) and 2x00G/GE is that the G and GE variants are APUs, which have built-in GPUs. They aren't the same and don't have the same memory. Also as a note, Ryzen CPUs like fast memory (3000+Mhz is good) and faster memory usually gives better performance. Best of luck with the new build!

My Info:

Tweet me @ www.twitter.com/BlackHawk8100 OR join Discord to chat! https://discord.gg/PStJBcJ

Offline Tatoosh  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2018 8:03:00 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Hey there BlackHawk,

So, yes ... I did purchase the Ryzen 2600 as recommended. Very nice! It is my Christmas/Birthday presents combined. Along with the ram, though I'm have a question there, what I bought is the Patriot, but Speccy shows the second line, not 3000MHz, but rather 1066MHz. Why would that be? Any thoughts on what could be affecting the Ram being seen as 1066Mhz when it should be 3000MHz would be greatly appreciated! Or is it just Speccy not reporting correctly.

What I bought: Patriot Memory VIPER 4 Series 3000MHz (PC4 24000) 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 Kit PV416G300C6K

What Speccy reports: 16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1066MHz (15-15-15-36)

My next upgrade is the SSD memory. I have a Crucial SSD 250Gb SDD for my primary drive, but it's chuck full. So I picked up a bigger one, but in the M.2 format. I will try adding the new M.2 SSD to the motherboard. Then use Macrium Reflect to copy the old SSD contents to the M.2. MSI seems to have a handy bios for resetting the boot order, so that should be step 3.

Hopefully, doubling the operating drive will help give me more lifetime on the system.

Edited by user Thursday, December 06, 2018 2:28:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Turkey bacon is not really bacon. Pork jowl, pork belly, pork something ... slow cured, real smoke, real bacon.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2018 6:30:18 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Check and see if your BIOS reports the memory info properly maybe :P
My Info:

Tweet me @ www.twitter.com/BlackHawk8100 OR join Discord to chat! https://discord.gg/PStJBcJ

Offline Tatoosh  
#19 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 4:48:17 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Curiously, BIOS reports the sticks as 2800MHZ and 2933MHz respectively. I need to see if the ram sticks were installed in the wrong slots perhaps? MSI has DIMMA2 and DIMMB2 specified for two sticks, so possibly a wrong slot causes the odd response on one?

I like Macrium Reflect bunches, but I, being a typical male, never slow down to actually read the instructions in detail, so I must repeat my clone procedure, but with a slight bit more attention to the order of things so that it does not clone an exact duplicate of my old drive and leave half the new drive unseen. Bleh!

MSI's Click 5 BIOS? Sounds so good when I watched the promo. But actually identify which drive will boot in which sequence? Not so much. I will haunt MSI's forum and sort that out. I'm sure there is some trick to it. The HDD does identify on their boot Priority list but neither of crucial SSD's do. Yes, the SSD's are listed in the Device List. Argh! Noobie Angst!

Update: Ram seems to be in proper slots! Dang it!

Edited by user Friday, December 07, 2018 8:15:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Ram a dama UpDate

Turkey bacon is not really bacon. Pork jowl, pork belly, pork something ... slow cured, real smoke, real bacon.