Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Sim_8_3  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2016 2:22:53 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have heard a lot about liquid cooling both good and bad, on the bad side one person had
their PC destroyed due to LC, I'm not sure if it was due to the liquid s[censored]ing or not
being replaced? I have some idea of how it works, but what's benefits and drawbacks VS ordinary thermal cooling fans?
Thanks
Follow My Twitch Stream
Twitch

Offline ottoyu34  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 4:49:30 PM(UTC)
ottoyu34

There are always risks even with AIO kits. Air cooled is always the safest.

Liquid has much higher thermal capacity than the far less dense air, hence it is more effective at moving heat away from the cold plate.
Offline Mark Bischetsrieder  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 3:34:17 PM(UTC)
Mark Bischetsrieder

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Basically boils down to this:

Air cooling is the cheapest alternative and is safe so even if a fan fails (which definitely doesn't happen to often) heat will dissipate naturally from the heat sink. It will also be easier to catch these failures before it causes system damage. The main drawback is lack of thermal performance compared to the liquid cooling counterparts. More performance = more heat = need for more cooling capacity.

Liquid cooling cant really be beat as far as thermal performance but costs quite a bit more. If you need excellent cooling or live in constantly hot areas then liquid cooling may be a bit more appealing. Or if you are crazy about overclocking then liquid cooling is basically a requirement. Main drawbacks would be initial setup as these systems are larger and contain more components (except all-in-ones) and have higher margin for failure. Funny/sad story my corsair h110i GT pump failed literally two days ago and caused my temps to hit 92c!!! Thankfully i was able to shutdown before there was any real damage.

In conclusion:
Cant really go wrong with good old fashioned air cooling. There are some very competitive solutions out there starting with the ever so popular Hyper 212 EVO from coolermaster. But of course with the need for performance liquid cooling will always sit at the throne. If looking into getting a liquid cooled setup start with a solid AIO setup and go from there. Frostytech.com is one of the best places for cooling component reviews and have an awesome test setup. AIO's can deliver good performance for the price. When going from there custom loops get much more expensive and harder to setup but have the best thermal performance. However not always recommended for people who havent set one up before. But hey, thats what youtube is for right? Hope this helps anybody.
thanks 1 user thanked Mark Bischetsrieder for this useful post.
Sim_8_3 on 5/2/2017(UTC)
Offline Sim_8_3  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 4:11:33 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mark Bischetsrieder Go to Quoted Post
Basically boils down to this:

Air cooling is the cheapest alternative and is safe so even if a fan fails (which definitely doesn't happen to often) heat will dissipate naturally from the heat sink. It will also be easier to catch these failures before it causes system damage. The main drawback is lack of thermal performance compared to the liquid cooling counterparts. More performance = more heat = need for more cooling capacity.

Liquid cooling cant really be beat as far as thermal performance but costs quite a bit more. If you need excellent cooling or live in constantly hot areas then liquid cooling may be a bit more appealing. Or if you are crazy about overclocking then liquid cooling is basically a requirement. Main drawbacks would be initial setup as these systems are larger and contain more components (except all-in-ones) and have higher margin for failure. Funny/sad story my corsair h110i GT pump failed literally two days ago and caused my temps to hit 92c!!! Thankfully i was able to shutdown before there was any real damage.

In conclusion:
Cant really go wrong with good old fashioned air cooling. There are some very competitive solutions out there starting with the ever so popular Hyper 212 EVO from coolermaster. But of course with the need for performance liquid cooling will always sit at the throne. If looking into getting a liquid cooled setup start with a solid AIO setup and go from there. Frostytech.com is one of the best places for cooling component reviews and have an awesome test setup. AIO's can deliver good performance for the price. When going from there custom loops get much more expensive and harder to setup but have the best thermal performance. However not always recommended for people who havent set one up before. But hey, thats what youtube is for right? Hope this helps anybody.

That's quite a lengthy explanation, I have heard horror stories about liquid cooling and I guess there is some risk to it, but I would definitely say that overclocking is essential, I think I will start out with just a liquid cooled CPU and then liquid cool the GPU, thanks for the explanation.

Follow My Twitch Stream
Twitch

Offline Mark Bischetsrieder  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 4:43:13 PM(UTC)
Mark Bischetsrieder

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Of course. All i can say is keep your receipts haha. Had to get ahold of microcenter to dig mine up for the cooler to RMA it. Other than that i love the performance of my h110i. Never goes above 65 under hard use on my 6700k. then again im only clocked at 4.2