Verizon Goes International With Wireless Fivespot Global HotSpot
But the company is now ready to take things international. The Wireless Fivespot is a unique new mobile hotspot that combines domestic CDMA service with international GSM service by including a SIM card slot. It ships with a pre-installed SIM card and provides global data service in more than 200 countries, supports VPN and measures just 3.92 x 2.11 x 0.55 inches.
In America, it basically acts just like a MiFi. It connects to Verizon's network and allows up to five Wi-Fi connections. Overseas, this unit does essentially the same thing, but you better watch your consumption over there. The full list of plans are below, but they aren't cheap. The device itself will cost $99.99 after a $100 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement, and prepaid/postpaid options are available in the U.S.
Wi-Fi Access Around the Globe With the Verizon Wireless Fivespot, the First Global Ready Mobile HotSpot
Five Wi-Fi® Connections, Four LED Status Lights, One Ultra Portable Device
BASKING RIDGE, N.J., Oct. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Be your own 3G Mobile HotSpot whether traveling around the block or around the world with the new Verizon Wireless Fivespot™. Developed by ZTE USA, Inc., the Fivespot™ is the first Global Ready™ 3G Mobile HotSpot. Allowing customers to connect and share their data connection with up to five Wi-Fi®-enabled devices including, netbooks, tablets and gaming devices within the United States and around the globe, the Verizon Wireless Fivespot™ comes with a pre-installed SIM card and provides global data service in more than 200 countries, more than 120 of those with 3G speeds when subscribing to a GlobalAccess plan.
* The Fivespot™ supports:
o CDMA 1xEV-DO Rev. A/Rev. 0: 800/1900 MHz
o WCDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA: 850/1900/2100 MHz
o GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
* VPN support
* One-click to power on/off
* Instructive LED indicators
* Small, stylish form factor measuring 3.92 x 2.11 x 0.55 inches
* 2.82 ounces
Price and availability:
* The Fivespot™ will be available in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com on Oct. 7 for $99.99 after a $100 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. Customers will receive the rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted.
Mobile Broadband pricing:
* Customers will need to choose from one of the various price plans to connect to Verizon Wireless' Mobile Broadband network, which also gives them access to thousands of Wi-Fi hotspots at no additional charge and allows them to move easily from the nation's most reliable 3G wireless network to those hotspots:
o $39.99 monthly access for 250 MB monthly allowance and $0.10/MB overage
o $59.99 monthly access for 5 GB monthly allowance and $0.05/MB overage
o Prepaid Mobile Broadband plans are also available:
+ $15 for 100 MB (one day of use)
+ $30 for 300 MB (one week of use)
+ $50 for 1 GB (30 days of use)
+ $80 for 5 GB (30 days of use)
* Customers traveling abroad can sign up for one of the following plans:
o $129.99 monthly access (5 GB allowance for the United States and Canada, $0.05/MB overage), 100 MB allowance in select countries ($0.005/KB after allowance)
o $219.99 monthly access (5 GB allowance for the United States and Canada, $0.05/MB overage), 200 MB allowance in select countries ($0.005/KB after allowance)
o GlobalAccess Pay Per Use for occasional use must be purchased with a $59.99 Mobile Broadband service plan in the United States. The Pay Per Use rate is $0.002/KB in Canada, $0.005/KB in Mexico, and $0.02/KB in more than 200 other destinations.