U.S. Broadband Still Proceeds at a Relative Snail's Pace
Royal Pingdom used data from Akamai to come up with its results. The data is from Q2 2010 and represents averages speeds in the country.
Here are some interesting data points:
- China is No. 1 in terms of number of Internet users, but No. 42 in terms of speed (860kbps)
- The U.S., creator of the Internet, is No. 2 among Internet users but No. 12 in speed (4.6Mbps)
- The top 3 in speed are all Asian: South Korea (16.63Mbps), Hong Kong (8.57Mbps), and Japan (8.03Mbps). South Korea has long been the top spot in the world for speed; we'll guess that all that bandwidth is being used for StarCraft 2 right now.
- Of the top 10 countries, 3 are in Asia, and 7 in Europe.
- Iran rounds out the top 50 at 410kbps.