Sprint Announces First 3G/4G Android Phone
Behind the scenes, the EVO is powered by a 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor. Thanks to the phone's built-in mobile hotspot functionality, you can share the 4G connectivity with up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices.
The phone also has dual cameras—an 8 megapixel autofocus camera and a forward-facing 1.3 megapixel camera. After capturing video, you can upload it to YouTube, Facebook, or share it live over the Internet via Qik. You can also connect the phone to an HDTV via an HDMI cable.
Sprint currently offers 4G service in 27 markets. 4G delivers download speeds that are up to 10 times faster than 3G. By the end of this year, Sprint expects to have up to 120 million people covered by 4G service. You can preregister for the HTC EVO today by going to www.sprint.com/evo. Pricing and an exact availably date will be announced in the future.
- 3G/4G capability
- Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD8650 (1GHz) processor
- 4.3” capacitive display with pinch-to-zoom and tactile feedback
- World-class HTML browser – bandwidth and quality that rival that of netbooks
- Android 2.1, with access to more than 30,000 apps on Android Market
- Google mobile services including Google Search, Google Maps, Google Talk, Gmail, YouTube , and syncs with Google Calendar
- Access to Google Goggles to search with pictures instead of words
- Sprint Navigation, with turn-by-turn driving directions and 3D maps
- Updated HTC Sense, award-winning user experience, which includes Friend Stream to integrate Facebook, Twitter and more into a single flow of updates
- Visual voicemail
- Messaging – personal and business email, IM and text messaging
- 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot capability – connects up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices
- 4G data speeds (WiMAX) – peak download speeds of more than 10 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1 Mbps; average download speeds of 3-6 Mbps.
- 3G data speeds (EVDO Rev A.) – peak download speeds of up to 3.1 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1.8 Mbps; average download speeds of 600 kbps-1.4 Mbps.
- 8MP autofocus camera with dual LED flash and 1.3MP front-facing camera
- High-quality video streaming and downloads at 3G and 4G data speeds
- Capture and share HD-quality video (720p) from your phone
- Output pictures, slides and videos in HD quality (720p) via HDMI cable (sold separately)
- Live video sharing with Qik
- Built-in kickstand for hands-free viewing
- Media player with 3.5mm stereo headset jack
- FM radio and Amazon MP3 store
- Sprint applications including Sprint TV and NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile
- Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP Stereo and EDR
- Built-in Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g
- Digital compass, G-Sensor, proximity sensor, light sensor, GPS
- Expandable memory: 8GB microSD card included; supports up to 32GB
- Dimensions: 4.8" x 2.6" x .5" (LxWxT)
- Weight: 6 ounces
- Main display: 4.3” WVGA (800x480) 65K colors
- Standard removable 1500mAh Lithium (Li-on) battery
- Memory: 1GB ROM, 512MB RAM