Samsung Blames Galaxy SIII Burns on "External Energy Source"
Fire Investigations UK (FIUK), an independent third-party organization, assisted Samsung with looking into the matter, and here's what they concluded:
"The energy source responsible for generating the heat has been determined as external to the device... the device was not responsible for the cause of the fire," FIUK said in a statement. "The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner's damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave."
The damage shown here is the result of a microwave oven.
Following the investigation, Boards.ie user "dillo2k10" has retracted his statement, saying "the damage to the phone was caused by another person" who was "attempting to recover the phone from water." He also admitted that a "large amount of external energy" was to blame, a statement that jibes with the FIUK's finding that a microwave was involved.
So there you have it. While your Galaxy SIII might feel hot once in awhile, it's not to going to burst into flames.