NextComputing Reveals Rugged Vigor EX All-In-One Workstation
It's an all-in-one system as well, featuring a dual-chassis design with a shock-mounted internal chassis suspended in a rugged, mil-anodized external chassis with no metal-to-metal contact. Customers can select a single or dual-CPU Xeon or Core i7 arrangement, up to 48GB of ECC (or 24GB of non-ECC) DDR3 memory, over 7TB of internal storage (up to 1.2GH/sec performance via RAID), and up to seven full-height/length PCI Express / PCI expansion slots. There's even support for multiple high-end GPUs.
The real kicker is the integrated 17" HD display, with optional 2nd and 3rd fold-out displays. There's a way to get a screen-less version, but why bother? Having a built-in LCD truly makes this an all-in-one rugged workstation. The unit starts at 35lbs., so you may need to bust out the back brace to ensure you don't hurt yourself while toting it. It's available now, but given the specialized nature, you'll need to inquire about pricing.
New Rugged Portable Workstation from NextComputing Delivers High-Performance Computing in Tough Environments
NASHUA, N.H. – March 14, 2011 – NextComputing, manufacturer of high-performance portable workstations and servers, announces its latest rugged portable workstation computer, the Vigor EX. Built to withstand harsh environments and handling, the Vigor EX packs high-end workstation performance in a durable chassis for anyone who needs to run demanding software applications in the field.
Graphics- or processing-intensive applications like geospatial imagery analysis, UAV ground control, or HD digital video processing require very high-end, powerful computer hardware to run properly. However, for mobile deployments where size, weight, power, and cooling (SWaP-C) are a concern, a typical rackmount server is oftentimes too large, heavy and power consuming.
The Vigor EX is ideal for these situations. Because this compact system is designed to handle the same compute-hungry tasks normally assigned to full-sized systems, users can comfortably replace larger rackmount hardware with an all-in-one workstation that is easier to transport and set up.
The Vigor EX features:
* Dual-chassis design featuring shock-mounted internal chassis suspended in a rugged, mil-anodized external chassis with no metal-to-metal contact
* Single- or dual-processor low-power Intel® Xeon® architecture or single Intel® Core™ i7 processor
* Up to 48GB ECC or 24GB non-ECC DDR3 memory (RAM)
* Over 7TB (terabytes) internal storage capacity with upwards of 1.2GB/s (gigabytes-per-second) sustained RAID write performance (when using twelve (12) 600GB 10,000 RPM SAS 2.5” hard drives in RAID 0)
* Up to seven (7) full-length, full-height PCI Express and PCI expansion slots
* Support for multiple high-end graphics cards (GPUs)
* Integrated 17-inch HD display with optional 2nd and 3rd fold-out displays (screen-less versions also available)
* Removable back-panel allows full access to hot-swappable drives and all internal components for easy service and upgrades
* Weight starting at 35 lbs., depending on configuration
“Our customers in the military and other demanding markets have for years relied on our Vigor series rugged workstations for their mission-critical applications,” says Bob Labadini, President & CTO of NextComputing. “The Vigor EX continues this tradition by packaging the latest COTS (Commercial Off-The-Shelf) motherboard technology in our durable dual-chassis design, while maintaining our commitment to quality and custom engineering services.”