Dell Announces Quick-Boot System Called Latitude On Flash
As the latest addition to the Latitude ON family, Latitude ON | FLASH runs on a special flash memory module that snaps into an internal mini-card slot on supported systems. The original Latitude ON is an OMAP-based add-in card that delivers instant access and all day battery life for business users of select notebooks. This latest addition fits in the middle of the Latitude ON options, between the Latitude ON Reader and the full OMAP version.
In a blog entry on Dell's Web site, Lionel Menchaca explained one of the benefits of Latitude ON | FLASH: "By running on a low-cost memory card Latitude ON | FLASH delivers a broad level of functionality at a significantly lower price point than the original Latitude ON OMAP-based offering." However, as Menchaca also points out, since the software doesn't run on a dedicated processor that requires significantly less power, you won't get the same multi-day battery life benefits that you would otherwise get with an Arm processor.
Dell is offering Latitude |ON FLASH as an option on new Latitude E4200, E4300, and Z machines for a $50 upgrade (hardware and software included).
Key Features include:
- Fast boot in 8-10 seconds
- Wi-Fi and LAN 10/100/1000 networking capabilities
- Secure environment with Multi-user login, strong password, and a locked-down environment that is tamper proof and malware/virus resistant
- Thin client capabilities with Web access or Citrix, VMware and RDP clients to access remote desktops.
- Chat and VoIP Chat capabilities supporting ICQ, MSN, Google Talk, AIM, Yahoo Messenger services.
- VoIP allows text, voice or video chat (using built-in webcam if present)
- Read Microsoft Office 2000, XP, 2000, 2003, 2007 and 2010 docs. Also, Adobe PDF 8.1 (requires internet connection)
- Edit Microsoft Office 2000, XP, 2000, 2003 and 2007 documents (requires internet connection)
- Supports IT pushed upgrades. User policies include Remote delete/wipe data, lock screen (after specified inactivity), force password change, delete accounts, failed password lockout
- Supports JAVA, Adobe Flash, Remote Desktop – Citrix, Remote Desktop – VMware, and Remote Desktop – RDP