Android Update For Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Line Delayed
A handful of Android smartphones may have received updates this past week, but Sony Ericsson's Xperia X10 smartphones were notably absent from the list. According to a recent blog post, the company doesn't intent to start updating its Xperia X10, X10 mini and mini pro until the end of October. At that time, these phones will be updated to Android 2.1. Until then, the phones are stuck with Android 1.6.
Considering the upgrade will deliver a better browsing experience, an improved virtual keyboard, and support for multiple email and contact accounts, we can imagine many users are itching to get their hands on this upgrade. Sony Ericsson says the delay in releasing the updates is because the company has had to "spend some additional time on the software to really makes [sic] sure we roll-out with the right quality and user experience."
Here's a closer look at the changes you can expect once the updates start rolling out:
- HD video recording with continuous auto-focus for high quality videos
- Upgrade of the Android platform to Android 2.1
- New back up and restore application, with extended content back up
- 5 homescreens for apps, widgets, shortcuts and folders
- Social phonebook which automatically syncs contact pictures from Facebook and shows when your friends are online
Xperia X10 mini and X10 mini pro:
- Improved Bluetooth functionality with support for sending and receiving pictures, contacts and more
- New backup and restore application with extended content back up
- Automatic synchronization of your contact pictures between Facebook and your phone book
- Improved ways of handling pictures, audio, text and numbers in your messages
- Upgrade of the Android platform to Android platform 2.1