Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Sim_8_3  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2016 1:51:52 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm considering cloning my Win 7 install to dual boot a Win 10 laptop, let me see if I can explain instead of installing a clean install of Win 7 side by side with Win 10 and using the boot menu to choose which Os I want boot, I want to do the same thing but just clone the existing install on my PC, other than having to install the drivers for the laptop on the Win 7 install, is this even feasible? I have read that you don't want to install Win 7 on an existing Win 10 but rather it's best to install Win 10 after Win 7, but then to complicate matters I want to use a cloned drive Win 7, the reason I want to this is I have some programs that run very slow on the PC and would run much better on the laptop and I would prefer not having to reinstall the programs if I can, any thoughts?
Thanks
Follow My Twitch Stream
Twitch

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2016 9:16:42 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 40 post(s)
If you have a Win 7 key, you should be able to just downgrade Win10 to Win7... Let me look for a bit.
My Info:
Tweet me @ www.twitter.com/BlackHawk8100 OR join Discord to chat! https://discord.gg/PStJBcJ

Offline Sim_8_3  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2016 11:22:15 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

I don't want to downgrade Win 10 I want to have them side by side as the computer I want to clone to is the one I can play newer games on and it's better on Win 10, BH why is it your the only one answering my questions? lol
Follow My Twitch Stream
Twitch

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 17, 2016 12:01:42 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

I hover...always. I always check in since I am a active mod. Also, do you have a Win 7 disk or can you create a bootable Win 7 ISO Flash drive? If you don't know how to do the latter, reference this:

Silly Censored Link

Edited by user Saturday, December 17, 2016 12:16:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

My Info:
Tweet me @ www.twitter.com/BlackHawk8100 OR join Discord to chat! https://discord.gg/PStJBcJ

Offline Sim_8_3  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 17, 2016 8:39:39 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
I hover...always. I always check in since I am a active mod. Also, do you have a Win 7 disk or can you create a bootable Win 7 ISO Flash drive? If you don't know how to do the latter, reference this:

Silly Censored Link

I realize that, but where is everyone? Anyhow yes I have a Win 7 Install Disk and I know how to make a Win 7 bootable flash drive. My concern is I have never tried to clone an existing install off another PC onto another one as a dual boot, could it screw up the existing Win 10 install?
Thanks for any suggestions. I forgot to mention the PC that I have Win 7 on has dual boot Win 7/XP would that make any difference, or can I just clone the Win 7 partition, or let's really complicate it and make the Win 10 tripple boot, lol that would probably be to risky and I'm limited on space on the SSD.

Edited by user Saturday, December 17, 2016 8:45:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Follow My Twitch Stream
Twitch

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2016 4:31:00 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Make a partition on the laptop and install Win7 to it with your disk. :P. always do the custom install.
My Info:

Offline digitaldd  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 9:09:43 AM(UTC)
digitaldd

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sim_8_3 Go to Quoted Post
I realize that, but where is everyone? Anyhow yes I have a Win 7 Install Disk and I know how to make a Win 7 bootable flash drive. My concern is I have never tried to clone an existing install off another PC onto another one as a dual boot, could it screw up the existing Win 10 install?
Thanks for any suggestions. I forgot to mention the PC that I have Win 7 on has dual boot Win 7/XP would that make any difference, or can I just clone the Win 7 partition, or let's really complicate it and make the Win 10 tripple boot, lol that would probably be to risky and I'm limited on space on the SSD.

If the systems have similar hardware (motherboard chipset & video drivers) cloning the drive can work. With single licenses though if they are OEM that violates the terms of service for an OEM license, however if its a retail or corporate license you can move it from machine to machine.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 8:42:07 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

I'd assume he bought (or "acquired") the Windows 7 key as XP is the eldest and therefor would stand to reason it was installed first. There I go again, using my "logic" stuff. Maybe I am both wrong and bamboozled.
My Info:

Offline Sim_8_3  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:53:21 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Originally Posted by: digitaldd Go to Quoted Post
If the systems have similar hardware (motherboard chipset & video drivers) cloning the drive can work. With single licenses though if they are OEM that violates the terms of service for an OEM license, however if its a retail or corporate license you can move it from machine to machine.

Hardware is much older on the Win 7 PC, mobo chipset all older, GPU is an Nvidia 8600, GPU on the Win 10 PC is 9600 both are mobile. It's a retail license so that shouldn't be an issue. My concern is how do I do this do I create a partition on the Win 10 machine like like Black Hawk suggested and what do I do create the clone on a USB drive and then copy it from there to the new machine? So confused.
Thanks
Follow My Twitch Stream
Twitch

Offline Sim_8_3  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:55:26 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Make a partition on the laptop and install Win7 to it with your disk. :P. always do the custom install.

I got that much but how do I actually do it? Bear in mind I have never cloned to a partition before only to a clean formatted drive.
Follow My Twitch Stream
Twitch

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:57:12 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

My Info:

Offline Sim_8_3  
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 5:38:59 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2569580/make-partitions-windows.html :D

Thanks that's a great tutorial on making a partition on Windows 10 but how do I put a cloned version of Windows 7 on the partition and be able to dual boot? I can't find that answer anywhere, I guess it's not something that's done everyday.

Edited by user Thursday, December 22, 2016 5:40:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Follow My Twitch Stream
Twitch

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:15:23 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

I believe once you've created the partition, you can run your OS install disk and go through all the customisation options to be able to select your HDD partition. Essentially you are tricking the install to go on a partition though by selecting the letter in the hard drive menu you assigned to your partition
My Info:

Offline Sim_8_3  
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:51:10 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

I believe once you've created the partition, you can run your OS install disk and go through all the customisation options to be able to select your HDD partition. Essentially you are tricking the install to go on a partition though by selecting the letter in the hard drive menu you assigned to your partition
Ok that makes sense so then do I clone the existing Install place it on an external HDD or SDD and then just install off of that? After that is it as simple as setting up the boot menu options to dual boot?
Thanks

Follow My Twitch Stream
Twitch

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:36:02 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

I have a terrible memory, have this:

http://www.howtogeek.com...windows-7-and-windows-8/
My Info: