Dish Network Begs FCC To Nix Comcast-Time Warner Deal Before It Gets Ugly

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,081
Points 1,183,065
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jul 9 2014 7:38 PM
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is currently deciding whether or not to approve Comcast's $45.2 billion proposed takeover of Time Warner Cable, a deal that would combine the two largest cable providers in the U.S. and give net Comcast an additional 30 million subscribers. Meanwhile, Dish Network is screaming in the FCC's ear to block the deal over concerns that it would present "serious competitive concerns."

One of Dish Network's biggest concerns is the control of so-called choke points in the broadband pipeline that Comcast could use to harm competing video services. The choke points include the direct connection to consumers, the interconnection point, and managed or specialized channels, each of which could be used to throttle video coming from competing video services.

"There do not appear to be any conditions that would remedy the harms that would result from the merger," Jeffrey Blum, senior vice president and deputy general counsel for Dish Network said in a filing.

Dish Network
Image Source: Flickr (Dave L)

Blum also argued that Comcast would be able to extract lower prices from programmers, thereby forcing programmers to charge even higher rates from smaller pay-TV providers like Dish Network to make up for their lost revenue. However, as with every dispute, there's two sides to this story, and Comcast sees things a bit differently.

"Dish has long been one of our most vigorous competitors, and unlike us has a national footprint available in tens of millions of more homes than a combined Comcast-Time Warner Cable," Sena Fitzmaurice, a spokeswoman for Comcast, told Bloomberg Businessweek in an email.

It's worth noting that Dish Network didn't ask the FCC to block AT&T's $48.5 billion acquisition of DirecTV, but said that also "presents competitive concerns."
  • | Post Points: 110
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 125

Guys like your last 12 posts have broken links

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Jul 9 2014 9:22 PM

@Nathan - From our FB page? Which links?

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 180

Nathan Meters - Which links? This one here on FB is working?

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 125

Your last 5 posts at least say " what I'm looking for cannot be found " when I click on them using Android and Facebook running in Chrome .

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 30

HotHarware, the link on this article in particular for me is not working. Even trying to get to the article directly from your site.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 125

It is all working on my end.

That footprint in 10's of millions of more homes is a moot point. That is like saying, steam has a national footprint equivalency, wait, greater footprint than dish, therefore they can control yahoo's and google's functions.

Next, Disney!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,621
Points 103,870
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Jul 10 2014 2:54 PM

It all works for me too.

(Win-7 and Chrome Browser)

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS