Shortcuts

AMD's Kaveri APU For Notebooks Tested, A Strong Showing In Mobile

This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,159
Points 1,185,255
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jun 4 2014 12:25 AM
AMD has had a tough time competing with Intel on the desktop lately, but when it comes to mobile technology, in the notebook arena, performance, value and power efficiency are measured against a very different yardstick.  That's not to say that CPU throughput and IPC isn't important in a notebook, not by a long shot, but multimedia performance in these highly integrated designs can matter much more than desktop designs where discrete graphics engines are easily accommodated.

Back in January of this year, we covered AMD's launch of their Kaveri core-based A8-7600 APU.  Targeted for desktops and with integrated AMD GCN graphics on board, Kaveri also had a number of optimizations and enhancements made to its Steamroller CPU cores as well. All told, Kaveri represents a much-needed upgrade to AMD's base APU lineup...

Today we're going to take a look at what AMD's Kaveri architecture can do in a mobile application, a full featured notebook form-factor to be specific, none of that netbook or hybrid clamshell stuff.

AMD had us out to sunny San Francisco for a press and analyst day recently, and though we didn't get to take a Kaveri-powered notebook back to the labs for a full-bore benchmark bake-off, we did get to spend some quality time on site with a pre-release whitebook.  Let's take a look...
  • | Post Points: 125
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40

My moneys is still on the Tegra. Intel & AMD are too busy fighting to notice that nVidia is making their move to dethrone them!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,586
Points 54,885
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Jun 4 2014 1:29 AM

Do you think you'll see Tegra-based notebooks any time soon?

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Let me know when Tegra based laptop can play a real PC game and has a real JVM for me to code with.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40

It's only 2.7/3.6GHZ quad core with less work done per clock cycle than Sandy Bridge+, and 35W TDP. AMD needs to grow a pair and release some 47W and 57W APUs like Intel has done so it can have more room for performance with laptops.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,101
Points 11,165
CDeeter replied on Thu, Jun 5 2014 8:00 AM

That too funny. Most of the time the call is for AMD to reduce TDP and thermals, not raise them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,381
Points 31,040
rrplay replied on Thu, Jun 5 2014 9:14 AM

Sure looks like AMD Red Team is delivering the multimedia performance and gaming goods in the laptop arena. Considering a price to performance ratio, the mobile "Kaveri's" look like a "Smackdown" with plenty of game at this time.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 175

How about comparing apples to apples rather than apples to grapes?

Put some data up for the i7 47W chips (which usually take as much power as the AMD 35W ones), like the Iris Pro ones (i7 4950HQ)? Or at least the i7 4650U with GT3 and 3GHz turbo, that should have a 50% advantage over the i7 4500U minimum (and possibly double, though doubtful without increasing TDP tolerance)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,101
Points 11,165
CDeeter replied on Fri, Jun 6 2014 6:30 PM

Along with a commensurate 50%+ increase in price LOL.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630

I just bought an AMD A10 based toshiba notebook and I'm quite amazed at the performance I got for the price.

Amazed in a good way. takes a whole 4 seconds to boot and plays most games very well, especially considering it had only the integrated GPU, but I can run most new games ESO, the new Wolfenstein etc with most settings up high. Have to play with the OverDrive software and see what headroom there is for overclocking (probably not much).

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 410

"Along with a commensurate 50%+ increase in price"

You would be surprised, even if the chip itself costs 100% more the total price won't increase nearly as much (usually other parts are also improved). Not to mention that simply having a 15W i5 with discrete card will out perform anything else while still drawing less power at idle.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jun 29 2014 1:15 PM

"It all comes down to final price points and real-world system performance."

That is the point. Sell to more people who need something new that works well and can't afford the best. (or don't need the best)

AMD is crazy like the Fox.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 210

still think apu processors are the way to go for budgets

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

This laptop is great for regular gamers and pc users who dont need ultra graphics the only thing im concerned about is price

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS