HotHardware's Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,699
Points 1,207,610
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, May 29 2014 12:15 PM

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 ReviewEarly last week, Microsoft unveiled the third iteration of its Surface Pro tablet, the aptly named Surface Pro 3. Unlike previous revisions to the product, the new Surface Pro 3 can be considered a major overhaul. Not only does the new device feature more powerful internal components and offer a handful of new features, but its form factor is a complete departure from the previous version, thanks to its screen’s 3:2 aspect ratio. The Surface Pro 3 does leverage many of the same industrial design queues as its older siblings, so there’s no mistaking it for anything but a Microsoft Surface. However, the similarities end there...

HotHardware's Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Review

• | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,074
Points 9,945
sevags replied on Thu, May 29 2014 2:46 PM

Good review guys!

I have love the surface line since release. The Surface 1 I passed over before of the poor battery life and soon to be released Haswell at that time. Ended up skipping over the Surface 2 because Apple was first to market with Haswell in its Macbook Air and the S2 lacked features I wanted like .ac wifi and I ended up going with the Macbook Air (upgraded of course core i7 etc). I have to say if I was still in the market today I would definitely choose the S3 over my Air. However I really don't think the price is very high for what it offers. If you compare it to a standard ultrabook with the same specs of course it is going to cost more! the fact that it is thinner and lighter is an obvious sign of that; just like when buying camping gear the Ultralight backpacking stuff is always going to cost more than the standard equipment even if they both provide the same level of use. Then my Air with core i7, 256gb HD, 8gb ram last October when it was new cost me $1599 which is $50 MORE than the Surface 3 with the same specs yet I have a lowly 1366x768 resolution screen and of course the screen isn't touch. All in all I would say the Surface is priced correctly for a premium powerful lightweight device!!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 344
Points 4,535
slugbug replied on Thu, May 29 2014 3:35 PM

The casing is made of magnesium? Have you ever seen that stuff burn? Let's hope one never catches on fire..

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,074
Points 9,945
sevags replied on Thu, May 29 2014 3:43 PM

slug; Do you know what sort of temperature it takes to have Magnesium catch on fire? 883 degrees F.... Basically even if the battery inside the Surface caught fire or exploded the temperature wouldn't be high enough or last long enough to actually ignite Magnesium. Also since the original Surface release not a single one of them has caught fire to the casing. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,684
Points 55,795
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, May 29 2014 4:40 PM

If MS just dropped the cover in with the bundle, it would be even stronger.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Points 815
basroil replied on Fri, May 30 2014 6:45 AM

"Do you know what sort of temperature it takes to have Magnesium catch on fire? 883 degrees F.... Basically even if the battery inside the Surface caught fire or exploded the temperature wouldn't be high enough or last long enough to actually ignite Magnesium."

Lithium ion fires can be in excess of 500C, so it could theoretically hit the auto-ignition temperature of the case. Will it? Likely not, if anything the first thing to give will be the screen, which would likely drop the temperature to below ignition levels. Not to mention that if the battery exploded/caught fire the case damage is the least of your concerns

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Points 990
RMD replied on Fri, May 30 2014 8:36 AM

You guys wouldn't believe how much stuff I'm trying to sell towards the purchase of a Surface 3, including my Tablets, Dell Laptop, Surface Pro and Mac Book Pro!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Good review, but how does it compare to the Surface Pro 1 and 2? Is it worth upgrading? Can it use previous accessories like the car charger or battery cover?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I've read atleast 20 reviews on the Surface Pro 3 so far and I have to say that this was the best one. Finally a review that actually included some benchmarks and thoroughly covered every detail of the device. Good job Marco!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Apan replied on Sun, Jun 1 2014 4:06 AM

Very useful review I hope there will be an addition with the i3 model when it will be available. But I wish there was more information about the screen behavior outdoors with numbers for the max brightness and reflectivity in comparison with the older models. After all this is a tablet for field work. I cannot understand the statement that the keyboard is completely necessary. For a reporter maybe it is but for me it is the docking station. So why I must be forced to buy it.

Not Ranked
Posts 80
Points 815
basroil replied on Sun, Jun 1 2014 7:46 AM

You can use the covers, not sure the charger will work since it's one of the things changed since 2.

3 is a side-grade from 2 rather than full on upgrade, so unless you need TPM2.0 and connected standby or a larger screen, not much to upgrade for.

Not Ranked
Posts 69
Points 490
mernerion replied on Thu, Jun 12 2014 3:04 PM

Is this the first time a tablet has been able to use Ethernet? I've been waiting for this forever.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS