Uncovered Windows XP Registry Hack Allows Continued Free Security Updates From Microsoft

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,205
Points 1,186,755
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, May 27 2014 10:54 AM
Although Microsoft has stopped supporting Windows XP, many people haven’t bothered to update from the legendary and now terribly aged operating system (you guys, seriously, just do it already). However, in what is the most perfect XP-related real-life joke ever, someone discovered that there’s a hacky workaround that lets you continue to receive security updates through April 2019.

“The workaround makes use of updates for Windows Embedded Industry (formerly known as Windows Embedded POSReady),” wrote Wayne Williams of Betanews. “This is based on Windows XP Service Pack 3, and the security updates which are being released for it are essentially the same ones Microsoft would have pushed out for XP, if it was still doing so.”

xp reg
(Credit: Betanews)

Next, you have to create a text document in the registry and paste in the following text:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

“That’s all you need to do,” added Williams. “Windows will now automatically fetch updates designed for POSReady 2009, ensuring XP remains protected for the foreseeable future.”

And so the legend of Windows XP continues.
  • | Post Points: 140
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 50

Stop... just stop the madness. Move on.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Move on guys :) wake up! :D

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

Stop that just change to windows seven

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
MatanAtias replied on Tue, May 27 2014 12:57 PM

I think stoping the support for winxp is a good thing... People must move on.. Seriously....

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635
digitaldd replied on Tue, May 27 2014 2:23 PM

POS ready?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 429
Points 3,280

It's superb hard to move on from 1 OS to the next...Me for example with XP :( because it was part of my childhood memories. But as the article states its in the Past Move on to the Future!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,658
Points 104,150
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, May 27 2014 8:17 PM

I know a few people that will hear about this and keep XP for years longer. Ha-Ha!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,102
Points 11,170
CDeeter replied on Tue, May 27 2014 8:44 PM

Damn shame to hear about this. Think about all those poor people who are going to keep XP now. Hope the Lamestream Media don't get a hold of this. I was just getting used to the idea of not having to deal with XP anymore too. People running XP are like NRA slogan " You can have my OS when you pry it from my cold dead hands." Which seems likely: I had a lady of advanced age return her new computer, because she couldn't deal with Win 7.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635
digitaldd replied on Wed, May 28 2014 12:45 PM

Does anyone remember the difference in Windows NT Workstation & Server back in the 3.x days? it was a few registry entries. :)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS