Intel Z97 Motherboard Round-Up: EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,808
Points 1,213,225
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, May 11 2014 2:12 AM

Z97 Motherboard Round Up: EVGA, MSI, GigabyteAlthough Intel isn’t quite ready to take the wraps off of its updated Haswell-based processors (codenamed Devil’s Canyon) or its next-gen Broadwell-based processors, the company is at the ready with a brand new chipset that ups the ante in terms of features and overall performance. Intel’s 9-series chipset isn’t quite as extensive as previous families (there are just two options at this time), but the new capabilities it brings to the table will be welcomed by everyone from hardcore overclockers to IT types and business users.

We tested a quintet of Z97 based motherboards from MSI, EVGA, and Gigabyte, using Intel’s current flagship Haswell-based processor, the Core i7-4770K. The Z97 Express chipset was designed to be a modern companion to Intel’s high-end Haswell-based desktop processors, that adds more high speed SATA ports and M.2 / SATA Express SSD support, but it is also ready for next-gen Broadwell-based processors...

Intel Z97 Motherboard Round-Up: EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte

• | Post Points: 110
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 105

But not the Asus rog?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,368
Points 48,745
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Sun, May 11 2014 3:18 AM

Seth will be rounding up some Asus boards soon.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,778
Points 105,195
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, May 11 2014 3:21 PM

Good read Marco. I like the MSI board for it's features and price.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 573
Points 5,210

Any mATX boards getting reviewed Marco?

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 210

msi z97 gaming looks great

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 282
Points 2,525
Ben replied on Fri, Aug 1 2014 10:07 PM

What other boards compete on this level? I'm putting together a build and the mobo is where I'm least informed. Can anyone suggest alternatives to read into for a mid to high-end build?

Causing a reaction is not the same thing as saying something significant.  - Bill Watterson

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 353
Points 2,495
Tom replied on Fri, Aug 1 2014 11:26 PM

I use the msi gaming 5. It gives me everything I need. The turnoff for some people is the fact that there only room for 3-way sli, but I see no point in need more than 3... Or even 2. It's great for $180. It also comes with OC Genie for people who don't know how to overclock their CPU, but want to.

PC gaming FTW! Can't wait for The Witcher 3.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS