Firefox 29 Released, Features Brand-new Menu and Customization Mode

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,413
Points 1,192,995
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, May 3 2014 3:53 PM

As appreciated as new Web browser versions are, there's often very little for an end-user to pay attention to - unless, of course, bug fixes and back-end enhancements excite you. With Firefox 29, though, Mozilla's delivered a genuinely exciting release - one that's so good, I'm starting to wonder if it's time to make the leap from Chrome.

At the forefront, the user interface has been overhauled, and the differences will be noticed immediately. It's hard to pinpoint a single element that's worth highlighting, but I'd imagine that the Mozilla team must have sore arms from all the polishing their beloved browser received.

Mozilla Firefox 29

The browser has also received a revamped menubar; it offers super quick access to various options and modes, and looks far easier to deal with than a standard list menu.

The most useful feature of this release is 'customization mode'. With it, you can drag and drop various elements either to the menu bar, or a location situated to the rightmost area of the tabs row. Such functions include opening a new private window, accessing your history, opening the options, and so forth. While dragging and dropping icons doesn't sound too interesting, the polish here is striking.

Mozilla Firefox 29

Mozilla's also overhauled its Firefox Sync feature, making it more secure and easier for new users to get setup with an account. Once setup, Sync will store your bookmarks and history in the cloud, making it easily accessible on other devices.

As if Firefox 29 needed even more packed in, a new interactive guide has also been implemented that allows you to learn of all of what's new.

Overall, a fantastic release. This is the first time since moving to Chrome that I've considered moving back to Firefox. Well done, Mozilla.

• | Post Points: 200
Not Ranked
Posts 44
Points 355

As soon as I saw this, I was hit with the update. Firefox 29 is slow, sluggish and after 5 minutes of script errors, I was allowed to make this comment. So far......not liking it. It's a good way to drive people back to IE. I'll give it a little time to de-bug before being drastic enough to go to Microsoft crying.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 330

The old browser was just fine. No need to fix something thats not broken

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 155

Already using it. I installed it yesterday.

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 155

Better to have Iron. http://i40.tinypic.com/20zu0hu.jpg

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 155

Not a bit of trouble. Must be your computer. http://i40.tinypic.com/20zu0hu.jpg

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
Brad1 replied on Sat, May 3 2014 9:07 PM

About a week late on this news.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
Brad1 replied on Sat, May 3 2014 9:09 PM

IE is complete crap... and I agree with David; If you're having those kinds of problems, you should probably give your computer a good cleaning and reset firefox. Been using 29 for a week or so, zero problems

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630
MCaddick replied on Sat, May 3 2014 10:45 PM

29's new UI is dreadful. Is there ANY way to add text to the back/home/refresh buttons or make them bigger? Coz I sure as hell can't find it.

I have no issues with speed or crashing, but to make the refresh button so small as to be almost invisible is an utter UI sin.

I'm going back to 28 and NOT letting FF auto-update itself in the future. If I wanted a browser to look like chrome and hide everything useful and customizable, I'll go use chrome.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 44
Points 355

Did the clean and uninstalled/reinstalled. We'll see how long it takes for shockwave to start giving me issues again.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 552
Points 5,060

Actually FF is not trying to look like Chrome. This is the style that FF was pushing a while back and Chrome actually stole. Just sayin.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

http://lifehacker.com/the-best-about-config-tweaks-that-make-firefox-better-1442137111

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630

InfinityzeN1 - Its still unforgivable that they have removed most of the customizability and reduced essential UI elements in size so you have to actively search for them whenever you need to use them

29 is a joke. Its a crappy copy of chrome's UI (I don't give a damn about who google copied for it).

Th stupid thing won't even let me position the home/refresh/back/forward buttons in a nice group over to the left where they should be, rather than shrink and scatter them all over the damn place. FF has totally failed.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,670

MCaddick:

29's new UI is dreadful. Is there ANY way to add text to the back/home/refresh buttons or make them bigger? Coz I sure as hell can't find it.

I have no issues with speed or crashing, but to make the refresh button so small as to be almost invisible is an utter UI sin.

I'm going back to 28 and NOT letting FF auto-update itself in the future. If I wanted a browser to look like chrome and hide everything useful and customizable, I'll go use chrome.

Agreed try Classic theme restorer..  for FF29+  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS