Samsung Galaxy S5 Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,420
Points 1,193,075
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, May 2 2014 12:40 PM
The Android smartphone wars are heating up here in Q2 with Samsung, HTC and soon LG releasing flagship devices targeted at luring in enthusiasts and mainstream consumers who might be looking to upgrade to the latest technologies and screen sizes.  We just gave you a detailed evaluation of HTC's One (M8) for 2014 and today we're here to bring you our view of Samsung's new Galaxy S5 Android superphone...

At Samsung's Unpacked event in February, we got some early hands-on time with the Galaxy S5 and what impressed us then is what impresses us now, now that we've had a few weeks to live and work with the device in house.  The first thing that stands out is its beautiful 5.1-inch Super AMOLED display.  Then you're treated to the snappy, fluid responsiveness of its beefy Snapdragon 801 quad-core processor.  But, as we've come to find out with HTC's One (M8), there's a lot more to a smartphone than just a pretty screen and a screaming-fast mobile processor under the hood.  It's a damn good start though...

So does the Samsung Galaxy S5 live up to the build-up?  Better still, is it merely just equal to the sum of its parts or are we talking true Android greatness here?  Let's have a look...
  • | Post Points: 155
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,635
Points 55,270
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, May 2 2014 2:15 PM

I REALLY like the new GS5. It pretty much hits my entire wish-list of features.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 110

Didn't they find the figure print scanner faulty?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,635
Points 55,270
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, May 2 2014 3:20 PM

No, it worked rather well for me. I didn't have an issue. Maybe there was a firmware update or something that fixed it because mine just worked.

Editor In Chief

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630

To me, this seems like just another slightly evolved mee-too 'meh' phone.

Sure, its capable, but really offers nothing you can't get on just about every other current phone.

And the usual samsung cheap-ass construction leaves me cold. When I pay this much for a phone I expect it to feel premium, not junky plastic. They should take a leaf from Nokia's book and spend a lot more time on materials and physical design.

One last thing I'd love to see from Samsung is a straight google experience phone with none of their shovelware pre-installed (and non-uninstallable)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,039
Points 9,650
sevags replied on Fri, May 2 2014 7:31 PM

Not really a fan of this phone... Ascetically it isn't pleasing which is unfortunate because the Galaxy line hasn't been attractive since the SII. Hardware wise it is exactly as expiated which isn't Samsung's it is the whole industry. But compared to offerings like the HTC One M8, Oppo Find 7, One+1, LG Flex G and a few others this phone really doesn't stand out. Great phone yes, worthy of my cash no,

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 118
Points 905

I'm more than happy with my nexus 5.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,635
Points 55,270
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, May 3 2014 12:44 AM

MCaddick and sevags, have either of you actually picked up and worked with a GS5? It's easier to dismiss it just looking at pictures but I can tell you the construction isn't "cheap"... The new back casing is solid and it feels durable. Granted, the silver trim ring around the edge of the device isn't great though. Still overall, it doesn't "feel" cheap by any means. It actually feels premium (to me) and performs that way as well.

Editor In Chief

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 552
Points 5,060

Slightly lower build quality?! Dave, that is such an understatement. Samsung phones are complete garbage on build quality compared to HTC and Apple. Even the GS5 feels lower quality then just about every other top tier device.

Plus the software is completely skitzo. Who needs two or three versions of every program? All of them looking and acting different. The settings and control menus don't follow the same pattern ether, some are google style, some touchwiz, and some that new Samsung style.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630
MCaddick replied on Sat, May 3 2014 10:45 PM

Compared to almost every other phone out there, samsung phones ARE cheap and plasticy.  They are designed to 'shatter' when dropped to help dissipate the energy when hitting the floor.

To claim that they aren't flimsy, nasty feeling, and cheap shows a lack of YOUR experience with any good phones.

There are lots of plastic phones, and they ALL feel better than samsung's galaxy line.  Pick up a Nokia lumia 920/1020/1520 and you'll immediately see how a polycarbonate phone CAN be solid, and yet light and feel great.  Even the iPhone 5c with its 'apologetically plastic' design feels great.  Samsung phones just feel nasty and this is borne out simply by every serious review of the product clearly stating this. 

I cann't fathom how anyone could say the 5 feels 'premium' when it so obviously does not.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,635
Points 55,270
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, May 4 2014 12:41 AM

Sorry, Infinity, I disagree. Again, have you actually picked up a GS5? Build quality and materials are much better than the GS4 in my opinion. It's not the level of the HTC One (M8) but it's not bad.

And I don't see anything "skitzo" about the UI, honestly.

Editor In Chief

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 552
Points 5,060

Unless there was a recent update that changed things, the UI is a blend of three different styles.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,039
Points 9,650
sevags replied on Sun, May 4 2014 4:29 PM

Dave: No I have not held one in my hands yet but I really don't need to. I don't mean to say the GS5 is cheaply built but compared to the high end competition with metal bodies plastic and chrome plastic is always going to be "cheaper". Yes fit and finish does count for a lot but this day in age my laptop is made out of metal not plastic and I want all my devices that way. I am at the point where I would probably take a cheaper built metal phone than a higher quality plastic phone. A GS5 Lite can go with plastic but the full fledged GS5 should have been metal. In the end no after how great this phone is there are already better alternatives on the market.  

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Very interesting post. really informative. of all the blogs I have read on the same topic, this one is actually enlightening. Thanks 

Nice to day  friv 2  ; y8

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
alexlee replied on Fri, Aug 1 2014 8:57 AM

Samsung did amazing job in this 4.4.2 , They almost redesigned Android KitKat with a ton of features and modifications. This is quite possibly the best custom UI over a stock Android in the market today.

birthday wishes for husband

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I don't deny Samsung Galaxy S5 is a superphone, but the plastic cover remaims one flaw of the phone,though, it is easier to change battery.There is need for us to strengthen the phone with sturdy cover.My friends recommend one to me: http://www.casecoco.com/personalized-cases-for-samsung/samsung-galaxy-s5-casecoco-cases-164 He also gave me the Coupon/ Promo Code:CCSTAFF2014,you can have 10% discout once your order excess $20. Pls note the coupon is only valid before Dec. 27.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS