very good point about net neutrality; in a post-neutral Internet, a "fast" connection at home no longer guarantees my "fast" connection will be "fast"
All thanks to Google starting the movement. Maybe one day we'll have faster internet that 3rd world countries.
And with the end of net neutrality at hand, it's still going to be slow as hell unless everyone pays extra. 1Gbps isn't going to do much good if it's choked all to hell unless the companies pay the extortion.
First of all; Google and Netflix, just those two companies alone, account for 70% of internet bandwidth being used. Leaving 30% left for everyone else to fight over. To put this into perspective, other huge mega sites, like Facebook, only account for 2%. Other than Google and NetFlix, no one is even close to using what they are allocated as a fair amount. The only companies that would be impacted even the slightest are the hand full of super ultra mega sites, like Google and Netflix, who should have to pay more for their ridiculously disproportionate load on the system.
ISP's are not spending millions (if not billions) on infrastructure that us customers are subsidizing to support Google and NetFlix, yet they are the only ones benefiting from it by monopolizing it. ISP's have every damned right to charge them more and should be.
THAT is what this is about. This will have no effect on Billy Bob's TV Repair & Bulk Manure in Cowf--k Nebraska or even larger companies like NewEgg who's overall bandwidth usage isn't even a blip on the chart. It's about mega companies exploiting Net Neutrality to apply to them as well as if they are some local mom & pop website while occupying nearly 3/4's of available internet.
Quite frankly, I wish ISP's would do away with tiers and charge a flat rate per GB. Except everyone wants to be stupid and bitch about a tiny 2kb ad on a website costing them money, regardless of how much they would actually save every month.
Not to mention, half of Net Neutrality was supposed to be about protecting free exchange, ie: limiting how DMCA complaints are handled to prevent abuse. Of course, that has never been followed, and content providers and ISP remove/filter content just on a threat of a complaint with no verification if it's valid or not. Google doesn't even wait for a threat, they pro actively monitor and filter content on their own preemptively, including content from original content creators own pages.
But I digress.
F--k Net Neutrality. It's a joke that only benefits the mega companies, and what parts of it don't are just ignored as it stand now anyways.
Subsidizing Google? Google Server Farms can handle 60-80% of the worldwide web. They do things like tripling the amount of info per bit so that your ISP can't charge you 3x as much for the same amount of info. If anyone is free riding its the ISPs who have contracted to deliver 10 Mbits/sec with their customers and are shifting blame for their violation of that contract. For example, if ISP terminated their fiber in 4 places located at 1/2 mile from users rather than one place a mile from many users their delivery rate could improve by 4-16 times. No new tech just a commitment to honor their contract (which should be enforceable by the user without going to court).
NEWS TIPS |
This site is intended for informational and entertainment purposes only. The contents are the views and opinion of the author and/or hisassociates. All products and trademarks are the property of their respective owners. All content and graphical elements areCopyright © 1999 - 2014 David Altavilla and HotHardware.com, LLC. All rights reserved. Privacy and Terms