BOXX Rips Apple's "Elegant" Mac Pro and It's Hilarious

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,814
Points 1,213,405
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Apr 23 2014 12:25 PM
Microsoft could take a few lessons from BOXX in how to poke fun at the competition in a tactful yet hilarious manner. BOXX, which builds high-end workstations and rendering systems for a variety of applications -- film and television, visual effects, game development, simulation, government and defense, and the list goes on -- decided to compare its own professional workstation with Apple's Mac Pro. The result?

A comical YouTube video, for one. Having just purchased a cylindrical shaped Mac Pro, Nate eagerly shows it off to his friend Drew, who is less than impressed with the hardware -- or lack thereof -- inside.

Mac Pro Ashtray

Things start off well enough when Nate confirms his Mac Pro wields an Intel Xeon processor, but things quickly go downhill when Drew fires off a barrage of followup questions, starting with whether or not Nate's machine is equipped with dual Intel Xeon processors -- "You know, 24 cores?" Drew then inquires if the Mac Pro has more than 2 GPUs, if it can be upgraded with additional hard drives, if it's overclocked, and bunch of other buzz kill questions. Have a look:

But hey, at least it looks cool, right? Even that trait is put to the test when at the end of the video a passerby mistakes the Mac Pro for an ashtray -- oh, burn!

Give kudos to BOXX for putting together a lighthearted ad that doesn't feel mean spirited or awkward, and then check out what the company has to offer if you're in the market for a workstation.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 1,755
lipe123 replied on Wed, Apr 23 2014 1:58 PM

The garbage can part at the end is the BEST haha

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,084
Points 11,730
Joel H replied on Wed, Apr 23 2014 6:52 PM

I give Apple tons of credit for trying to reinvent the workstation, but I can't get over how much that thing looks like a garbage can.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 625
Points 5,130
RiCoFrost replied on Wed, Apr 23 2014 7:22 PM

HAHAHA loved it, so dam funny.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,700
Points 55,975
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Apr 23 2014 8:32 PM

That was pretty priceless. :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,852
Points 45,915
rapid1 replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 11:51 AM

I remember when Apple used to use a different CPU and Memory structure and there was some reasoning to using APPLE for artistic or photo rendering/design and music production etc. I also remember when everything was proprietary which everyone but apple pretty much gave up more than a decade ago if not almost two decades now.

The internal components although "APPLE" certified are last years hardware with an extra eeprom chip on each one that certifies it is "APPLE" certified therefore the computer can start and operate with it. The apple thing to me seems to be basically like the high school kids wearing the "COOL" pair of jeans or the new in color/tennis shoes and nothing more now.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS