Das Keyboard 4 Professional Review: Cherry MX Flavored Typing

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,804
Points 1,213,265
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 10 2014 12:15 PM
Das Keyboard 4 Pro: Cherry MX Flavored TypingAs a species, we've come a long way from the days of carving notes into stone. While our ancestors used chisel and rock, we now use keyboards to hammer out our thoughts and anything that needs to be documented. Some of us spend hours a day sitting in front of a PC, a large portion of which is dedicated to punching keystrokes at a frenzied pace. There's a good chance that your keyboard is actively used more than any other peripheral or accessory, save for your monitor, yet some people give little thought to their plank, as if to suggest that all keyboards are essentially the same.

Professional typists know better. So does Metadot, which started to build a better keyboard nearly a decade ago. You know it as the Das Keyboard and through several generations of refinements, it's evolved into what's now called the Das Keyboard 4 in both Professional (labeled key caps) and Ultimate (blank key caps) variants...

• | Post Points: 140
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Thu, Apr 10 2014 2:44 PM

I don't know that I'll ever be willing to fork over $200 for a keyboard, but the ruler makes it tempting. :p

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,778
Points 105,195
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Apr 10 2014 4:59 PM

It's too expensive for me.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Points 810

I SO want one; may replace my need to rely on Logitech keyboards for both home and professional use (I own 2 K800s a K810, and planned on getting the Mac version of the K810).

Being a Logitech loyalist when it comes to keyboards, being a fan of the high quality, warranty, and durability Logitech provides, this keyboard may be my go-to PROFESSIONAL keyboard for usage w/ VIM to do web work.

Never heard of Das before and it seems foolish to me to not try them out. Knowing quality keyboards of Logitech like the K800 deserving are 100 dollars and a bit both more, $169 for what the Das provides is absolutely fair to me.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 221
Points 2,250
Paul_Lilly replied on Sat, Apr 12 2014 10:10 AM

You might find it's a bit of a adjustment going from the K800 or K810 to with low profile keys to a mechanical keyboard, but once your fingers adjust, it's absolute bliss.

Not Ranked
Posts 61
Points 440

Next time I am in the computer store that carries one, I'm going to test type one of these. Mechanical keyboard seems to be the best type (pun) and I am more than willing to test out that theory.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,851
Points 45,910
rapid1 replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 4:33 PM

I personally use the following Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 (Cherry MX Brown) Backlit Mechanical Keyboard and you can get together groups of individuals (10 of them specifically) through a couple of boards on the internet then you get a substantial price break. Mine was $115 + shipping at whatever speed I wanted to pay for. It is 363 days old now and I must say it is the best choice I ever made in a keyboard. It also still works like it did when new not a single key has faded or rubbed/smudged in any way. I blow it out with an air can every now and then and keep it clean not a light has faded either and through Maxkeyboard you can replace them personally or by sending them in for servicing. When I am gaming they work flawlessly when I want them to be quiet they do so when I am no caring and just want to fly they type exceptionally faster but are also louder then. I would not trade this with any keyboard I have ever used and I have used other mechanical key switch keyboards.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,700
Points 55,975
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 8:00 PM

Das is an artisan's keyboard, as are Decks. I love my Deck... I pound on that thing all day and it keeps delivering,

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Points 810

They seem interesting; which one you have: the Legend or HASSIUM one?

Overall, the Das Keyboard 4 is just jaw-dropping, you almost catch yourself slobbering on yourself staring at the ultimate version... :P

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 140
s13 replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 6:43 PM

I was a logitech loyalist for years (im 36 now, been a fan since i was 19). I can say that going from rubber dome to mechanical (black widow) was night and day. It's lightyears past the feel of any logitech. Then I went from a BW to a DAS and I can say that the difference in feel and quality were as different from the BW to DAS ultimate s silent as it was going to BW from logitech...and I didn't think that was possible. I now refuse to type on anything else because quite frankly, everything else feels like utter trash in comparison (except for other exceptional kbs which are in the same leauge like the ducky and filco etc). Bite the bullet and take the plunge, you won't regret it...especially if you're still using a rubber dome. You have to realize that the worst mechanical kb you can find is still going to be eons better than the highest quality rubber dome board out there. :)

Corey Allen
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Points 810

Thanks for your sharing your experience with Mechanical Keyboards compared to rubber dome keyboards. You being a fellow Logitech loyalist in the past, I have to buy the Das Ultimate and be amazed now...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,778
Points 105,195
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Apr 23 2014 10:00 AM

I agree about Mech Keyboards. I have a Corsair K90 with back-lit keys. Typing on it is a pleasure. (TBPO: I really like typing on my Apple Model A1243 Aluminum KB too)

Mechanical Keyboards are the best, and prices are finally coming down on a lot of them. Check out Rosewill's budget priced line. They have Cherry switches in all four flavors.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I had this keyboard for 1 day and returned it, the build quality is horrible. There is a difference in the cherry keys, some keys have a good 'click' and some keys have no click or a little. The plastic housing is very thin and on the bottom you can see the molding swirls. Volume know is wobbly. No braided usb cable, just a thick ugly plastic cable. My much cheaper Trigger Z keyboard is a tank compared to the Das Keyboard Pro 4. Not worth the money!! Overhyped... It needs the price reduced by 50% to be a fair product. Made in china piece of...keyboard

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 282
Points 2,525
Ben replied on Thu, Aug 7 2014 4:38 PM

Old topic, but I'll throw my testimony in for what it's worth. Over a year ago I started seriously considering a mechanical keyboard after hearing about all the hype. I spend all day on my computer for work and then more when I game. When ghosting became an issue on my cheap rubber dome keyboard I decided I was going to spend the money for something in this class.

I looked at Das and Rosewill and both seemed adequate. I ended up with a no frills Rosewill with Cherry MX Brown switches and couldn't be more happy. I was wary about the brand, but after two conversations with customer service I was sold.

The keyboard is heavy, the switches LOUD, the cord braided and sturdy and the tactile feel is just right. It's something you like having on your desk. For those of you considering it, Paul's write-up is on point. Take head of CowekoAlinac's comment regarding this model specifically, but don't let that dissuade you completely!

Causing a reaction is not the same thing as saying something significant.  - Bill Watterson

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Iceshiver replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 1:17 AM

DONT BUY THIS, DO NOT BUY THIS. I've been using this keyboard for a little over a month now. It's RIDDLED with bugs. This keyboard offers exactly three features. Media keys, NKRO and a USB 3.0 hub (two outputs)...and...two of the three features are -broken-. Turning off/on the NKRO lands you in a blue screen 50% of the time unless you hold the NKRO on/off switch for a few seconds too long, thats a 100% guranteed blue screen. If you use the USB hub to transfer ANYTHING of appreciable size your keyboard slows down to the point of being inoperable. Also, if you transfer any files of any size using their hub you have a 50% chance of landing yourself in a blue screen. They admitted to having USB hub issues but require you to send back the keyboard. That's great, what if I threw away my old keyboard thinking this one would work? Now I have to pay to ship it back to them AND buy a 20 dollar cheap keyboard. This thing is getting more expensive by the minute. Their technical support team has thus far offered zero solutions and hasn't communicated anything about these issues other than acknowledging that they exist. What the crap. DONT BUY THIS, DO NOT BUY THIS.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 353
Points 2,495
Tom replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 11:40 AM

Sounds like you got a dud. Probably not the Das Keyboard 4 Pro, but the one that you have, if you know what I mean. This doesn't necessarily mean someone shouldn't buy it. 

PC gaming FTW! Can't wait for The Witcher 3.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS