Windows XP Goes EOL Tomorrow, Migrate Or Prepare For Immediate Vulnerability

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,814
Points 1,213,600
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 7 2014 12:51 PM
For those of you who have been holding onto Windows XP for the past decade, it may seem surreal to stare down at its long overdue expiration date. You might have even been secretly (or openly) hoping Microsoft would issue a last minute stay of execution. Hey, it's been a good run, but now it's time to face reality, and the reality is Microsoft will no longer support Windows XP after tomorrow. That means no more security updates or calls to tech support.

On a larger scale, it also means there's going to be a lot of unprotected PCs sitting in the wild. Any new vulnerability that is discovered after tomorrow will go unpatched from Microsoft, and you better believe malware writers are anxious to take advantage of that fact. It's even feasible that some hackers have already discovered new security holes, but are refraining from exploiting them until Microsoft turns its back on XP.

bsod
Image Source: Flickr (russelljsmith)

"Some hackers are bound to be hanging on to exploits and waiting for support to end," Chris Sherman, a security analyst at Forrester Research, told ComputerWorld. "If you knew of a vulnerability, why wouldn't you?"

It's not going to mark the end of the world, but certainly hackers will use this rare opportunity to wreak as much havoc as they can. They'll also look at future updates to Vista and Windows 7 to see what kind of vulnerabilities Microsoft is patching, and then check to see if those same (or similar) security holes exist in XP.

All this is to say it's time to migrate, and the sooner the better. If you stick with XP, your best bet is to disconnect from the Internet altogether if that's a feasible solution. Otherwise, you should consider ditching Internet Explorer and using a third-party browser that will continue to be updated. You should also strongly consider running security software.

Surface 2 Pro

For those who plan to migrate, Microsoft has been offering incentives to make it a little easier. Still today Microsoft is offering Windows XP users $100 off the purchase of select Windows 8 PCs, along with 90 days of free premium support and free data transfer.
  • | Post Points: 230
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 434
Points 3,340

aww got to rejoice and boot my xp the final time today :( u will be missed

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45

shame to see it come to a end and im sure it will live on in history

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 434
Points 3,340

Yeah probably someone will look at the brighter things of this fantastic OS and make XP 2.0 :D

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 310

Way easy to get hack using it look at card readers like target

Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 175

http://i45.tinypic.com/2uemdja.jpg

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 1,755
lipe123 replied on Mon, Apr 7 2014 7:08 PM

"Prepare For Immediate Vulnerability" really?!

It's been around since 1999/2000 if they haven't found all the vulnerabilities by now they never will. This is just a lot of hype to scare old folks into buying new computers.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35
PasiElo replied on Mon, Apr 7 2014 10:06 PM

Never liked that "toy" look anyways. Windows 8.1 is the best windows ever. Just use something that returns the start menu.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 175
basroil2 replied on Mon, Apr 7 2014 10:12 PM

Issue isn't that the vulnerabilities haven't been found, it's that people are hoarding exploits. There's been dearth of vulnerability patches as of late, which is more likely fewer being reported than fewer existing. You can expect that 4/9 will see a host of new malware being released, and even more in the months to come. A single vulnerability is easy to protect against even with post execution mitigation, multiple vulnerabilities are a bit more problematic.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 413
Points 4,470
StaticFX replied on Mon, Apr 7 2014 10:35 PM

i heard that a few companies are paying MS to continue support (privately) for a while long while they upgrade.....

.... really?? you STILL arent upgraded? lol its 2014!!!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 434
Points 3,340

LOL true that

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

except over here in the uk where the british govermentt have paid microsoft £5.5 million to continue support for a few years more...seeing as all of our ATMs run xp, lol

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

Long live Windows XP.

I installed you as my first operating system in third grade...

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Tue, Apr 8 2014 8:17 AM

XP was pretty great. But ive moved on. I had vista for a short while then moved to 7 and now im on 8 but i am still procrastinating going to 8.1.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,934
Points 24,785

I'd say everything is vulnerable once connected to a network. And to those holding off from upgrading if you are smart about using the computer you should be OK. of course the more time goes by the more features that newer operating systems add might eventually get you to upgrade your computer. I would say get a new system instead of updating the OS on the old one as most hardware running XP probably can't hack a newer OS unless you decide to go with a lighter linux distro.

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 295

Windows 7 is a million times better than XP, I see no reason why xp shouldn't be phased out. I know it's still around for business legacy devices though...I work with them a lot. I imagine someone that has a million dollar equipment attached to a console running XP..it's kind of hard to upgrade that.

I have windows 8 at home, it's "okay" but not great. I only use it for the better performance. I hate it for dual screen usage. The control panel bar is a nightmare trying to grab it on a dual screen.

Hopefully Windows 9 will be better, that's what I'm waiting out for. Either Windows 9 or if if the Steam OS get's a little more feature rich, I'll throw a VM with Windows 7 on it then I will be golden.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 99
Points 1,015
RMD replied on Tue, Apr 8 2014 10:33 AM

I can understand the people that held off on Windows 8 all together, but why hold off on 8.1? It's changes are subtle but for the better and the soon to be released update is even better than that! Trust Me ;-)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 99
Points 1,015
RMD replied on Tue, Apr 8 2014 10:36 AM

I remember how excited I was with the Beta of Windows XP! This is a sad day for those of us with fond memories of Windows XP! I've installed and re-installed it countless times at a repair shop.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 434
Points 3,340

The Dream Out of a Box! :) Rejoice its Last day with us

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Tue, Apr 8 2014 1:55 PM

I've heard of horror stories when updating to 8.1... while the odds are probably pretty slim of anything bad happening now... I just don't have to time to deal with it, if something does come up :-P

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 289
Points 3,165

I do remember that I used Windows xp for about 9 years. It was so easy to use and learn. Until about almost 4 years ago I did move to new Windows 7. I want to say, Good bye to good old friend, Windows XP.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

Good Riddance to bad rubbish.. XP should have died sooner....I love win 7 and 8 and 8.1 looking forward to 9.....

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS