Amazon Dash Is Revolutionizing Grocery Shopping, But You Can’t Have It Yet

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,345
Points 1,191,275
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Apr 5 2014 12:16 PM
The Amazon Fire TV isn’t the only intriguing new tech to come out of Amazon this week. The company is also debuting a powerful new shopping tool called Amazon Dash, and it portends a future where you can order all the groceries and supplies you need as you go and as you think of them.

Dash is a small handheld device that connects to your home WiFi network and can both scan barcodes on the products in your house and also receive voice commands from the user. When you run out of, say, milk, you can scan the barcode on the empty carton. Milk will show up on your AmazonFresh list, and you can check out using your PC or a mobile app.

Amazon Dash
Amazon Dash

By the next day, the milk will be delivered to your front door, along with any other groceries you purchased.

Amazon Dash

Perhaps we should back up a bit: AmazonFresh is a grocery delivery service that is currently only available in Seattle, Southern California, and San Francisco, so the vast majority of the country doesn’t get to experience the awe of ordering all your groceries (including booze) online and having them delivered right to your door by a person in an Amazon uniform.

Amazon Dash

Even for those lucky enough to enjoy the service, Dash is an invitation-only deal at the moment. Hopefully both AmazonFresh and Amazon Dash will spread to other areas of the country posthaste.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,295

That is pretty cool. You wouldn't need to keep a grocery list. However, I feel this actually could limit competition and that's going to be a thorn in the side of many companies. Half the reason the grocery stores are set up is so that all the brands of a specific product can compete directly next to each other. With this device you are less likely to shop around and order what you already have.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 110
Points 335
kalqlate replied on Sun, Apr 6 2014 11:39 AM

Perhaps you didn't notice: "...and you can check out using your PC or a mobile app." it is here where continuous scrolling lists of competing items could be displayed as each item is "checked out". I think this will actually improve competition as preferred shelf location is eliminated and shoppers will be able to view more items, even obscure mom-and-pop brands, and quickly compare aspects like costs per volume. Win win.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,655

I knew somebody would do it eventually, improve the failed Radio Shack CueCat to the point where it becomes useful. It only took 20 years, but now we have a wireless bar code scanner for ordering stuff, way to go Amazon.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 352
Points 3,860

I can already sort of do this.. (no delivery here but people in NYC can) _ I have the wegmans app on my phone. Lets me scan items, search, add items etc to create a list. Then in the store, its sorted from start to finish. So I can find everything I need easily. The only thing its missing is home delivery - I will bet in a few years some places will have that soon here. The main store (their flagship 140K sq foot store.. yes 140K sq ft) lets you order then just pull up and get them

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,655

StaticFX:

I can already sort of do this.. (no delivery here but people in NYC can) _ I have the wegmans app on my phone. Lets me scan items, search, add items etc to create a list. Then in the store, its sorted from start to finish. So I can find everything I need easily. The only thing its missing is home delivery - I will bet in a few years some places will have that soon here. The main store (their flagship 140K sq foot store.. yes 140K sq ft) lets you order then just pull up and get them

True a few stores have decent apps that help you out with shopping, but one thing Amazon Dash can probably do is order those few specialty products that aren't carried by your local stores.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 352
Points 3,860

probably... but, until you have been in a wegmans....lol

and those are just shots of ONE area (the cheese, bread, and butcher) lol  - some of these store are huge. If you cant find the item, they will get it for you

yeah, we are spoiled... anyone who moves from here to where there is no wegmans... always say "I miss wegmans"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,655
digitaldd replied on Wed, Apr 9 2014 10:21 AM

We have nothing anywhere near that size here in NYC.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 352
Points 3,860

in NYC? no lol..I think this wegmans would fit in the lower level of the Javits center :) .. I would trade it all for the Whole Foods you have in the lower level of that building in Columbus circle.. is it trump? cant remember. Great store!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,655
digitaldd replied on Mon, Apr 14 2014 10:37 AM

Too bad Whole Foods is way over-priced, with the exception of some specialty items. At least the Trader Joe's have some good deals now & then. 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS