Toshiba's Canvio Adapter Turns Your External Hard Drive Into A Wireless Storage Device

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,209,755
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Mar 19 2014 1:51 PM
Pictures, videos, and other forms of digital data aren't getting any smaller, and you may find that your tablet or smartphone is suddenly short on space. There are a variety of solutions available, one of them being Toshiba's new Canvio Wireless Adapter, a simple yet creatively designed gadget that adds wireless networking capabilities to any traditional external hard drive.

There's no rocket science involved here -- simply connect the adapter to an external HDD and a USB power source. Once you've done that, you can proceed to share, stream and access the drive's contents wirelessly from any network-enabled device, such as your smartphone or tablet.

Canvio Wireless Adapter and Plug

"In today’s increasingly wireless world, it’s becoming more important that our storage solutions have networking capabilities," said Maciek Brzeski, vice president of product marketing and development, Branded Storage Products, Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., Digital Products Division. "This device brings yesterday’s external hard drives into the 21st century with features that consumers demand such as easy access to their content wherever they are."

Canvio Wireless Adapter

Using the adapter, you can share content to up to eight devices at once, which should be enough to accommodate the entire family in many cases. It's also worth mentioning that the adapter features an Internet pass-through mode, allowing users to stay connected to the web.

The Canvio Wireless Adapter is available now for $80 MSRP.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,079
Points 10,000
sevags replied on Wed, Mar 19 2014 2:36 PM

I think the price is a little high. That is the price of a pretty large external HDD. It does provide more versatility than an external with built in wifi though.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 218
Points 2,235

I don't know this for a fact, but my hunch is it will sell for less on Amazon and other online retailers.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 240

this sounds pretty cool, although personally I have no real need for it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,767
Points 105,080
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Mar 19 2014 8:52 PM

I have this capability built into my router already. It works well too. I plugged a USB 3.0 1TB drive into it.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I want to buy a hard drive. Transcend has some coolest designs available in different colors. It uses USB 3.0 technology and under optimum conditions it can give up to 5,120 megabits per second transfer rate. It is shock resistant , Rubber case with stress testing. Source: . Please provide your feedback about this product. I have to buy 1TB portable HDD.

http://www.articlehack.com/best-external-hard-drive-brands-review-2014/

Regards,

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 402
Points 4,355
StaticFX replied on Mon, Mar 31 2014 9:48 AM

realneil:

I have this capability built into my router already. It works well too. I plugged a USB 3.0 1TB drive into it.

I was going to say.. a lot of the newer routers have this ability... mine isnt that new and has it. (I dont use it.. but its there lol)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS