Google Rumored To Be Forbidding ASUS Transformer Book Duet Dual Boot Hybrid

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,886
Points 1,173,720
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Mar 9 2014 2:37 PM
Plenty of manufacturers and consumers alike are intrigued by the potential of Android/Windows dual-boot devices, but it would seem that you can count Google in the camp of those not too keen on the idea.

ASUS’ plans for a dual-boot devices called the ASUS Transformer Book Duet TD300 are rumored to have been scuttled by Google. The search giant allegedly pressured ASUS to pull the device over concerns that it would give Microsoft an “in” with the mobile market that it otherwise wouldn’t have.

ASUS Transformer Book Duet TD300
ASUS Transformer Book Duet TD300

Google is correct on that point, but if it’s true that its tactics involved forcing ASUS to kill a product, that’s just plain anti-competitive and shameful.

Running dual-boot systems could ostensibly benefit chipmaker Intel most of anyone as its processors are ideal for a dual-boot scenario.

Of course, dual booting isn’t necessarily a great idea to begin with, but if the reason that the “PC Plus” trend dies off before it begins is because Google is engaging in shadowy strong-arming, that’s a problem.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Sun, Mar 9 2014 6:11 PM

im really hoping this is a lie/rumor that turns out to have no legitimacy whatsoever. all the points made in this article i agree with. It would be sad to see google pressure a company to not release something like this due potentially giving the competition an "in" as it were. However google cant really stop asus even if this true since the android os is open source but of course it probably wouldnt have access to the play store or any useful google apps

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 308
Points 3,195

i find it funny that they would feel threatened at ALL by windows "mobile" anything...

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 685
Atticus14 replied on Mon, Mar 10 2014 12:33 AM

They should be threatened. I'm a huge android fan, but I would still much rather have a nice windows 8.1 tablet (none of that fake windows crap) and access to all the software that exists and my steam library. I'm not really a MS / Windows fan, but when you look at the complete package I'm definitely a fan of the windows platform with all the great free programs that exist and windows gaming runs circles around the shovelware in any mobile store, even if I have to play older games it would be worth it a billion times over. With windows you still have access to whatever services you want and usually better versions of them.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 45

I hope the Asus defends itself against it and try it anyway. For google I hope that's not true, because that would be pretty brazen

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 140

I am a huge android fan and to see Google doing this is rather sad, it is kind of an Apple move. I would love to see dual booted devices with a full fledged Windows 8/1 (soon to be 9) and Android 4.4. Windows lacks mobile apps that android/iOS has but it has the functionality that android/iOS is trying to achieve. If they could find a way to stick a nice processor, like the haswell, into a device that dual boots I think it would destroy any other tablets imo. I can see what Seth is saying that Google can feel threatened by having Windows in the same product but I don't think they should interfere with the manufactures. Instead they should try to make Android that much more appealing so they won't feel threatened by this. I really hope we will see this come out and other companies as well

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

That really looks like a MacBook. If Google really somehow stops this, I'd be disappointed in them for disrupting innovation.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS