Latest Google Chrome Beta Offers ‘Hands-Free’ Voice Search Feature

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,805
Points 1,164,560
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Mar 1 2014 10:58 AM
In the next few days, you’ll be able to control Google searches on the Chrome browser using only your voice, as the latest Chrome beta brings this capability to Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms.

In a new tab, you can simply say, “Ok Google” and then speak your search. Beyond that, you can also tell Google to perform actions, which is arguably an even more compelling feature. For example, a Google Chrome blog post suggests you could say “Ok Google, set a timer for 30 minutes” or create a Google Now reminder with “Ok Google, remind me to pick up dessert at 6pm tonight”.

Chrome voice search

To enable the new feature, click the microphone icon in your Google search bar and click the Enable “Ok Google” button.

Google Chromebook Pixel
Google Chromebook Pixel

Along with the new voice features, the latest Chrome beta includes a supervised users feature. Essentially, it’s a parental control measure that lets you allow, block, and manage website permissions for any users under your “supervision”.
  • | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
vaughnv replied on Sat, Mar 1 2014 12:16 PM

Voice search was so EASY! I did absolutely nothing new (no downloading). The microphone was already at the search bar and it worked the very first time I used it. I clicked the icon, said "hotels in Rehoboth Beach Delaware" and the list of sites popped right up. Good job, Google!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

First, everybody go out a get a copy of Stanley Kubrick's "2001 A Space Odyssey" first seen in 1968 - 1968 is not a typo. Arthur Clarke's book and Kubrick's camera have given us an eerie and prescient glimpse of our talking to Google. Do we really want Google to be such a smartass? Doesn't Google know enough as it is? Is it TinFoilHat time? Is mere Tin Foil good enough?

Here's a paste from: Captain Google.

"

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - Quotes - IMDb

www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/quotes
    Internet Movie Database
    Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doorsHALHAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that. ... HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as Ido."

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS