Nintendo Gets Ready to Nix Online Play for Wii Console and DS Handheld

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,345
Points 1,191,200
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Feb 27 2014 12:57 PM
Nintendo said it's planning to disconnect its Wi-Fi Connection service for Wii consoles and DS handhelds on May 20, 2014. That means no more online play, matchmaking, or leaderboards for many Wii, Nintendo DS, and DSi games. In addition, users will no longer be able to share their own generated content, exchange in-game items, or download free add-on content or downloads such as new levels or in-game items.

"We at Nintendo sincerely thank our fans for their continued support of our company’s legacy systems. Your enthusiasm for games made for these systems speaks to their longevity, and the passion of Nintendo fans," the company said in a statement.

Wii box

The announcement doesn't apply to more modern consoles -- specifically, online play for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games will not be affected by this, aside from the Wii mode on Wii U and Nintendo DS games on Nintendo 3DS family systems, Nintendo said. Other online functions, like access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop, and video on-demand services are not affected.

Nintendo's decision doesn't come as a complete shock. Going forward, Nintendo would rather focus its online efforts primarily for the Wii U, which is now going up against Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4 consoles.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,031
Points 9,610
sevags replied on Thu, Feb 27 2014 1:58 PM

I don't know how popular online play on the Wii is to begin with but I am sure this will effect many gamers out there and that is just sad. How much effort does it take to keep keep online play for the Wii going? Is this a cost issue or are they simply trying to throw all their support at the Wii U in hopes it might bring the console to life (I can't call it reviving as I don't think the Wii U has ever actually been alive).

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 98
Points 670
ECouts replied on Thu, Feb 27 2014 11:26 PM

Aaaaand they've ruined any chance of me buying a Nintendo console ever again. If I'm going to buy a console that offers online play, I want to play online whenever the hell I want! That includes a few years down the road. They need to offer the ability to host games on other servers then.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT?!

80% of the playable material on the WiiU is Wii software, even moreso with the 3DS and DS/i games. This is perhaps the worst thing they could possibly do, what a joke.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 90
FubarJeb replied on Fri, Feb 28 2014 4:53 AM

Back in 2010, Microsoft did the same thing with the first Xbox. In my opinion, this is one plus to owning a PC for gaming. Most legacy online games can still be played with; or, without support from the manufacture/studio.

Maybe the Nintendo modding community can come up with a solution for the legacy devices.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630
MCaddick replied on Fri, Feb 28 2014 5:09 PM

Jeez. Hand these mooks a gun and they'd immediately shoot themselves in the foot with it.

Its no wonder Nintendo is virtually dead, and having their pie eaten by Sony and Microsoft, companies who's products become MORE capable as time goes on in the product's life cycle.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS