Android Curveball: Our LG G Flex Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,161
Points 1,185,490
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Feb 26 2014 11:58 AM
LG’s new G Flex smartphone is the “world’s first curved flexible smartphone” according to the company. We’ve seen smartphones that have curved bodies before, but this is the first smartphone to feature a display and battery that are curved as well. LG claims the curved design of the G Flex is optimized for the average face to provide better call and sound volume quality. For users who are going to put the phone in their back pocket, the curved shape of the phone also makes it fit more comfortably.

In addition to its curved form, there’s one other very noticeable feature of this smartphone, and that’s its large 6-inch display. If you set this phone next to any average-size smartphone, there’s no mistaking the G Flex offers a LOT of screen real estate.
Android Curveball: LG G Flex Review

In an effort to take full advantage of the G Flex’s large display, LG is also including a number of unique software features with the device that are designed to give the user greater multitasking functionality. We’ll take a closer look at all of these features in the coming pages...
  • | Post Points: 155
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630
MCaddick replied on Wed, Feb 26 2014 12:29 PM

Thats a really low resolution for a screen that size. I've just got a Lumia 1520 (6" 1080 resolution) and its significantly nicer to use its screen than the 1320 which has the same size and resolution as this LG phone's 720. Its AMOLED which is nice, but forget having nice bright backgrounds and still keeping your battery life and outdoor visibility.

I suppose having such a lower resolution helps with battery life and performance, but having buttons on the rear of the device just comes across as LG thinking they had to do something different for the sake of it, not any practical purpose for the majority of users.

Oh, and no NFC?  While not a dealbreaker, its something thats becoming more useful and a stupid omission in any modern phone/tablet.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,012
Points 9,455
sevags replied on Wed, Feb 26 2014 2:26 PM

I still don't understand why a "fixed battery" would constantly end up in the con category! No SD card slot I understand even though having a sd slot is a BIG no no for me there are people out there who use it or need it while for me it will also be an empty slot just gathering dust and pocket lint. But the battery? What % of smart phones actually have remove able batteries?! And out of those that do how many people actually buy and carry spare batteries?! I would bet my savings account that a very insignificant amount of people around actually buy and use spare batteries. A fixed battery means a more solid construction, no back plate to worry about popping off or losing, and I imagine that all these phones with ANSI water and dust resistance are easier to design even though the new S5 has those features with a removable battery.

If you are going to carry around a spare battery for your phone here are millions of options for external battery packs ranging from the size of a smartphone battery to the size of desktop harddrives and it wouldn't even require turning off your phone to swap out.

Can we have a poll here on HH asking whether people prefer a fixed or remove able battery? The results might help a fixed battery stay out of the con column.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Feb 26 2014 5:50 PM

It's not just about having the ability to swap out when dead. Not having a removable battery means taking the phone in for repair, should the battery need to be replaced.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630
MCaddick replied on Wed, Feb 26 2014 7:35 PM

And the battery needs replacing when?? The vast majority update our phones far far before any battery issues become apparent.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,587
Points 54,890
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Feb 26 2014 8:19 PM

I'd have to agree with MCaddick here. Really, the only time you need access to the battery is for a hard reset beyond what buttons or a software switch can deliver. You want to be able to pull the power source completely, just in case. Other than that, the advantage of a replaceable battery is pretty marginal these days.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 47,065
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Wed, Feb 26 2014 11:21 PM

An interesting-looking phone and I want to see it in person! The lack of an SD card and non-replaceable battery would kill the deal for me, though. My wife and I keep our phones for a long time (purchase outright w/no-contract) so it's important that we can replace a weak or faulty battery.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 143
Points 970
Jason replied on Fri, Mar 7 2014 2:26 PM

Wait no NFC? Hmmm, well the device is interesting. Seen videos of people laying them on a hard surface and pressing them flat. Interesting that the internals can withstand something like that. But the no SD card is probably what would kill me the most. I'd like to see this up close though. But I couldn't see me picking one up for my next phone

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 429
Points 3,280

Yup ive seen it all now. Curveball me to the face someone

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
linusdoo replied on Mon, Mar 17 2014 10:03 PM

I'm just glad to see handset manufacturers pushing different designs than just a sheet of glass. We are in need of some different form factors in mobility

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
marvel14 replied on Sat, Mar 22 2014 8:15 AM

it is true that the LG flex is a true innovation in mobile telephony, but it's still very useful for general public, plus the price is relatively high, at this price many people would prefer sacrificed curved shape and take a galaxy note 3 prix or galaxy s5

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I'm on the road at client's offices and in the field all day. I carry two or three spare batteries and use them. I can't be tethered to a wall charger. So for me a fixed battery is a deal breaker.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

Regarding the shape, I love the concept but it has been years since I have held a phone to ear. I do think it would ride nicely in my pocket. The fixed battery seems shady, and no sd card is a deal-breaker.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Mgmackoul replied on Fri, Apr 25 2014 12:06 AM

LG G Flex, very bad quality. DO NOT BUY. Dust collects under the cover and into the camera area and you will not be able to take clear pictures. Contacted LG about the issue, and we sent the phone for repair. We paid for sending it. they cleaned the dust and sent it back. After a few days of use, the dust started to collect again. Contacted them again and they said to sent it again. Asked them to replace it, and they refused. Do not buy this phone.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS