Microsoft Boss Satya Nadella Sees Need to Reinvent Company

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,220
Points 1,187,415
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Feb 21 2014 12:47 PM
Steve Ballmer came to the conclusion that Microsoft would be better served by having new blood lead the company into whatever era lies ahead, and so he began his farewell tour last year. That tour ended with the eventual promotion of Satya Nadella to Chief Executive Officer (CEO), who previously was Microsoft's lead man in the server and tools division. It's a big promotion, to say the least, and right away Nadella has identified a key to Microsoft's long-term success -- reinvention.

In an interview with The New York Times, Nadella touched on a number of topics, including his "big picture thoughts" about how to approach his new role and how he wants to leave his mark.

"Longevity in this business is about being able to reinvent yourself or invent the future. In our case, given 39 years of success, it's more about reinvention," Nadella said. "We've had great successes, but our future is not about our past success. It's going to be about whether we will invent things that are really going to drive our future."

Satya Nadella
Image Source: Flickr (Heisenberg Media)

Nadella didn't elaborate on that thought or get into specifics, though it seems pretty clear he won't be content to rest on Microsoft's laurels. It will also be interesting to see what new products come out of Microsoft if the focus does indeed include inventing things.

Nadella also talked about what kind of role company co-founder Bill Gates will have. As far as Nadella is concerned, this is nothing new, noting that he and Gates have worked closely for about nine years.

"So I'm very comfortable with this, and I asked for a real allocation of his time," Nadella said. "He is in fact making some pretty hard trade-offs to say, 'O.K., I'll put more energy into this.' And one of the fantastic things that only Bill can do inside this campus is to get everybody energized to bring their 'A' game. It's just a gift."

With Gates willing to take on a bigger role, that's good news for both Nadella and Microsoft, as well as anyone pulling for Microsoft to duplicate its past successes.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 5,580
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Fri, Feb 21 2014 2:16 PM

I'm genuinely excited to see what's in store for Microsoft now that someone with some fresh perspective sits at the helm.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 526
Points 4,245
RiCoFrost replied on Fri, Feb 21 2014 2:39 PM

I really like where they are going with windows 8 desktop and phone, the surface tablet i really enjoy. The phone still lacks some features but its almost there. I really like the one os for all devices, I believe they really have something with that vision.

Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 195

Oh boy here we go, just looking at him i can tell the next windows will be a hardcore apple OS wanna be

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630
MCaddick replied on Fri, Feb 21 2014 6:24 PM

He does have that 'look' about him. Dumb douchebag hipster glasses etc, but hes from server world, very different from apple's bubblegum and sneakers island.

In my opinion, they should immediately and completely dump the Metro/Modern UI from 8 on desktop PCs, jump ahead to 9 and give us all the windows OS we want to use, not the bastard red-headed stepchild that is 8 + Metro.

A single OS on many different platforms is just stupid. 8 and metro work brilliantly on a phone, great on the Xbox, okay on a tablet, and craptacularly on a desktop PC or notebook. Play to each device's strengths rather than shoehorn them all into a design that they mostly aren't good at.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 184
Points 1,710
lipe123 replied on Fri, Feb 21 2014 6:36 PM

Microsoft stock will rise by 1billion% if the announce a patch for windows 8/8.1 called "Windows7.9 for windows desktop"

Here's hoping :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,479
Points 47,110
ForumsAdministrator

Microsoft doesn't need to reinvent itself - It just needs to start listening to what its customers want and don't want.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 526
Points 4,245
RiCoFrost replied on Sun, Feb 23 2014 5:58 PM

agreed, keep metro with the tablets and phones and its a win :)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS