Google Fiber Coming To 34 Additional Cities

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,851
Points 1,171,205
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Feb 19 2014 6:14 PM
Most of the country has been gazing jealously at the Google Fiber rollouts in three lucky locales, but as many as 34 cities in 9 metro areas will be joining the fun relatively soon. “Now that we’ve learned a lot from our Google Fiber projects in Kansas City, Austin and Provo, we want to help build more ultra-fast networks. So we’ve invited cities in nine metro areas around the U.S.—34 cities altogether—to work with us to explore what it would take to bring them Google Fiber,” wrote Milo Medin, VP of Google Access Services.

The official updates about which cities will be getting Google Fiber are coming by the end of the year, but the 9 metro areas on the table are Portland, OR; San Jose, CA; Salt Lake City, UT; Phoenix, AZ; San Antonio, TX; Nashville, TN; Atlanta, GA; and Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham, NC.

New Google Fiber cities
(Click to enlarge)

Google and the civic leaders in those areas have a lot of work to do. They’ll need to sort out geographical challenges, decide on schedules, deal with existing local infrastructure issues, and various other practical matters.

It sounds as though Google is figuring out how to make these fiber networks a reality, and although the blog post warns that not every one of the 34 cities in the pipeline may end up with Google Fiber for one reason or another, this is tremendously good news. This means that Google Fiber isn’t just a pilot program with potential; the potential is being realized.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 608
Points 5,495
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Wed, Feb 19 2014 6:40 PM

Even as someone who doesn't live in the US, this excites me a LOT. The faster and more effective the rollout, the faster the rest of the country's ISPs and world in general will get to delivering Internet worth being proud of.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

Anyone know someone at Google by chance. I would love to be a part of that opportunity as a contractor.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 220
dnw1962 replied on Wed, Feb 19 2014 8:53 PM

Glaringly absent is any place in the Northeast corridor between Boston and Washington D.C. There are a lot of potential subscribers there but a lot of very old infrastucture.

Not Ranked
Posts 51
Points 450
RMedley replied on Thu, Feb 20 2014 11:42 AM

As I told some supervisors at ATT (I worked for them last year) if they do not stop there solo concentration on cellular and start throwing fiber on all of the land they own and replacing the copper there going to lose their empire.

It may not be today or tomorrow but 10 years from the day Google started laying fiber, Comcast/Verizon and GOOGLE are going to own the country like they (AT&T) does now. I would flip off my Comcast and switch to GOOGLE fiber today and know almost everyone in my neighborhood would as well.

Then you get to AT&T's high speed internet the only reason I would have it in my home is if I had absolutely no option. I did have it for about a week and a half told my neighbor it was a good deal he is the next in succession on the copper wire from the fiber on the main street my internet lost 30-40% throughput the day he had it installed I cancelled about 2 days later when they could not work it out. Straight fiber has none of those bandwidth issues and ability wise beats Coaxial easily as well.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210
nelsoncp21 replied on Fri, Feb 21 2014 11:38 PM

True but migration to an all fiber solution is no cheap task. Biggest cost being transceivers especially in last mile environments where ultra long haul fiber transceivers are required. Sure GPON helps to reduce the infrastructure costs but to role this out to 10's of thousands of end users can get quite pricey.

Of course there's always the saying you got to spend money to make money!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS