Valve's Steam User Survey Shows Windows 8 Usage Up Significantly, Surpassing Vista And Windows XP

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,853
Points 1,171,230
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Feb 3 2014 10:07 AM
It's not pure science, and it doesn't speak for the masses at large, but it's still a decent indicator of how power users are adopting the latest edition of Windows. While Microsoft has struggled to gain mass acceptance for the quirks of Win8, the latest Steam Hardware & Software Survey shows significant gains by the new OS, as compared to Windows Vista and Windows XP.

Historically, it has taken years for a new Windows OS to gain a major majority share, mostly as institutions put off the upgrade and some consumers decide that there's no real need to update. Steam users, however, tend to be amongs the earliest of adopters -- the power users that jump at the chance to try out any new beta.

Of course, Windows 7 still leads the pack in a major way with just over 50% of the reported user base, but Windows 8.1 saw a 1.88% jump in January to place it at 10.41% overall. Meanwhile, Windows XP and Vista dropped down further, now reaching just 5.96% and 2.84% of Steam's reported OS user base (respectively). There's still a long, long way to go before Win8 surpasses Win7 in terms of Steam users, but there's no question that the latest edition is making serious progress. 
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 98
Points 670
ECouts replied on Mon, Feb 3 2014 12:23 PM

We're sort of forced to use the crappy OS if we buy an already built PC which will support the newer games.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 95

There's always Windows 7.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 98
Points 670
ECouts replied on Mon, Feb 3 2014 3:44 PM

No, there isn't. When you buy a new PC, they rarely give you the option of having Windows 7 or 8. So, you end up having to buy Windows 7 for an extra price and installing it on the PC.

Granted, I always build mine myself, but most of my friends end up with Windows 8/8.1 and they can't stand it and how often its programs fail even when the PC is straight out of the box from the manufacturer. The camera app generally fails first. But there's at least one problem that has to be fixed with its file system each month. Generally, it's something that it automatically fixes with SFC, but I often end up having to run DISM just to get the SFC to work properly.

Even now, this PC has a flag that says that it needs to restart to repair drive errors. This thing is a year old, the other Dell PC is about a year old as well. The hard drives are fine and check out perfectly with S.M.A.R.T. It's the freaking OS that sucks.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 481
Points 3,825

People are moving to windows 8 because its better and faster for games. There is a very noticeable difference with BF4.

Also most games build there PC, i don't know anyone that buys a per-built system.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,356
Points 48,595
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Mon, Feb 3 2014 7:22 PM

All of you guys that bought into all the Windows 8 negativity are selling yourself short. Windows 8.1 is superior to Windows 7 in so many ways, I'm not even going to list them here.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 167
Points 1,130

and yet not 7? hmmmmm

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Will be replacing my Windows 8 with Ubuntu LTS 14, when it comes out this April.

Windows 8 UIs "are" BULLSH*T

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 117
Points 885

Just got in on the steaming beta. I'm dropping down to one windows 8.1 PC and I'm going to make some ITX boxes using APUs and mint 16. Windows 8.1 had been working really great, but it's not free.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS