Kennebunk Maine Teenager Hurt When iPhone Goes Up in Smoke in Her Pants Pocket

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,388
Points 1,192,435
Joined: Sep 2007
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Feb 2 2014 10:27 AM
A middle-school student in Maine was treated for "moderate" burns after her iPhone caught on fire in her back pocket. The incident occurred at around 7:40 a.m. when the eighth-grade student first sat down in her classroom. According to accounts, the phone made a loud popping noise, after which her fellow students noticed smoke emitting from her back pocket.

Their first reaction was to have her stop, drop, and roll. The iPhone fell out of her pocket as the students tried to help, and that's when they noticed it was burnt.

"It was something that I don't think people had ever seen before. I've never seen anything like that," MSK Principal Jeff Rodman told the Bangor Daily News.

iPhone 5S

Those on scene from the Kennebunk Fire Rescue commended the students for their prompt response and the way they handled the situation. It's not too often that you hear about mobile phones catching on fire when situated in a person's back pocket. Typically these incidents occur when a person uses a cheaply made third-party charger or battery.

In this case, it's believed that the pressure put on the iPhone from sitting down with it in the student's back pocket may have caused the battery to short out.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Points 4,565
Joined: Jun 2012

Dam scary stuff.

  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,691
Points 104,390
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
MembershipAdministrator
Moderator
realneil replied on Sun, Feb 2 2014 10:39 PM

Try some iNeosporin for that burn.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 395
Joined: Jun 2012

"it's believed that the pressure put on the iPhone from sitting down with it in the student's back pocket may have caused the battery to short out" - just another case of "you are holding it the wrong way"

  • | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 552
Points 5,060
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Harker Heights

Who is stupid enough to sit on their $600+ dollar toy?

  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Points 4,565
Joined: Jun 2012

Kids

  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 73
Points 780
Joined: Jun 2013
basroil replied on Mon, Feb 3 2014 6:18 PM

Considering that's normal use, if the device is susceptible to fire if sat on it's certainly a call for recall

  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 185
Points 1,730
Joined: Nov 2010
lipe123 replied on Mon, Feb 3 2014 7:07 PM

Typical iPhone user that sits on their phone and don't expect it to break and short circuit.

  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS