Intel Provides Twelve-Hundred Iris Pro Brix Boxes to Valve Steam Developers

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,802
Points 1,163,945
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jan 17 2014 9:46 AM
Computer hardware companies have a vested interested in PC gaming, so it's no wonder that so many firms are excited about Valve's Steam Machine platform. No less than 14 OEM and boutique system builders announced Steam Machine configurations of their own at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas last week, and if that weren't enough, Intel gave each of the 1,200 Valve Developer Day attendees a Gigabyte Brix Pro Steam Machine.

Intel's generosity stems in part from its desire to showcase its Iris Pro graphics. Each Brix Pro system sports an Intel Core i7 4770R quad-core processor (3.2GHz to 3.9GHz, 6MB cache) with integrated Iris Pro graphics 5200 (200MHz base frequency, 1.3GHz max dynamic frequency), along with several other goodies in a mini PC package.

Gigabyte Brix Pro

Integrated graphics have never been much to brag about, though Intel changed that perception with the introduction of Haswell, and in particular Iris Pro, which triples the performance of its previous generation graphics. It even supports 4K Ultra HD displays, though don't expect to do much gaming at that resolution. Still, Iris Pro is pretty impressive.

Most Steam Machines are slated to ship in the second half of this year. It will be interesting to see what developers come up with between now and then.
  • | Post Points: 140
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 75

i7 4770 and iris pro for gaming ? why not a low end i5 and a descent gpu ? i mean even low end i5's are better tahn amd chips for gaming

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 520

That CPU is WAY overkill for integrated graphics.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

Think it was noted the Iris Pro was compared to a GT650M. Not all that bad considering where the used to be with their IGP. A discrete GPU would add to the size for the card itself and SFX PSU. Throw out the current form factor, which at that point, pick up a Volt/Revolt or just make your own with a ML07 or RVZ01.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 75

i dont think anyone gets my point you can build a 400$ pc that would outperform these things and cost 1/3 the price

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 75

i say the best steam box config would be athlon x4 750 + r9 270/260 then things will be good for GAMING only thats what steam boxes are basically for

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jan 17 2014 11:17 AM

I'd say that they're on the right track with these boxes. Many people who don't know how to build their own boxes will buy them. If they do it well and can be upgraded, then more power to them.

As for me, I have a few systems unused here that would run Steam ragged. Smile

FX-8350, 16GB, SLI GTX-570s, 240GB SSD for OS and 2TB HDD for storage.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jan 18 2014 7:53 AM

Intel's gave away these boxes, so of course they're going to feature their best desktop chip with integrated graphics. The 5200 chipset is a good baseline for what developers should support at a minimum, and the i7 gives some overhead for debugging.

I'll want at least an i7 in my steam machine anyway, as it will give some leeway for running services in the background, like my minecraft servers.

After using Linux for about 9 years, AMD is the last chipset I'd recommend in a Steam box. Historically and currently, they have had more bugs than nVidia and Intel on Linux, and their performance has always been less than on Windows (whereas nVidia and Intel have usually been in parity or better on Linux than Windows).

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 130

http://cdn.pocket-lint.com/r/s/300x/assets/images/phpuqacpf.jpg not at this size you cant. and thats the point of it

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 75

why a freggin i7 ?!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

shut up fardin

Not Ranked