Microsoft To Extend Anti-Malware Support For Windows XP Through July 2015

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,805
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jan 16 2014 11:01 AM
Microsoft has been trying really, really hard to kill off Windows XP, an operating system that was amazing in its day but has now been supplanted by three full generations of Windows OSes, and the company has been warning users for a good long while now that it will no longer support Windows XP after April 8th of this year.

However, Microsoft continues to try and be a good sport about the cessation of XP support. The company announced that it will extend updates to its antimalware signatures and engine for Windows XP all the way through July 14th, 2015.

Microsoft Windows XP

That means Microsoft Security Essentials will remain active and patched for another year and a half. For enterprises, that protection will cover System Center Endpoint Protection, Forefront Client Security, Forefront Endpoint Protection, and Windows Intune.

Even so, Microsoft warns against standing pat with XP even with updated antimalware. “Our research shows that the effectiveness of antimalware solutions on out-of-support operating systems is limited. Running a well-protected solution starts with using modern software and hardware designed to help protect against today’s threat landscape,” reads a post.

Seriously, though, if you’re still running Windows XP, just upgrade already.
  • | Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

I wish they would do more for all OS' s they create

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Jan 16 2014 8:47 PM

Been using Webroot Internet Security and it's good on everything I run it on. Newegg has a sale on it today for $9.99 for five PCs for a year's protection.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,071
Points 10,850
CDeeter replied on Thu, Jan 16 2014 10:02 PM

Thank you Microsoft for prolonging the agony. Please just kill XP. I ran XP until Win 7 came out, but it's time for it to just die.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,071
Points 10,850
CDeeter replied on Thu, Jan 16 2014 10:07 PM

I don't know how they could have done more for XP users. No one has ever supported an OS as long as they have XP.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
roylaw915 replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 9:19 AM

millions and millions of people and company still use XP and if Microsoft is to lame to support its own product they should give that support option to a third party

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS