Microsoft Rumored to Pony Up $2.6 Billion to Samsung, Sony, Huawei for Windows Phone Development

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,886
Points 1,173,510
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jan 16 2014 10:31 AM
It's true that Microsoft's Windows Phone platform is the third most popular mobile operating system in the world, but it's a distant third behind iOS and Android, the two big dogs that run the show. If Microsoft is to increase its slice of the pie, it needs to get more handset makers on board rather than tie itself so closely with Nokia. Microsoft may have received that memo because it's reportedly getting ready to throw a whole bunch of cash at other other phone makers to get serious about Windows Phone.

According to a Twitter post by Mobile-Review's Eldar Murtazin, Microsoft plans to pay $1.2 billion to Samsung in support money this year to develop Windows Phone 8 devices. In addition, Microsoft will pay $600 million to Huawei and $500 million to Sony to also jump on board, plus another $300 million set aside for other handset makers. That works out to a $2.6 billion investment.

Windows Phone

You'll notice that HTC isn't listed above, though the company could fall under the "Others" category. An alternate explanation is that these figures are way off. Microsoft's communications lead Frank X. Shaw responded to Murtazin's Twitter post calling out his numbers.

"Reality check. Do we do co-marketing with partners? You bet! But these numbers are complete fiction," Shaw wrote.

When made aware of Microsoft's response, Murtazin held firm on his claim, saying Microsoft could file the figures under ad money. However Microsoft does it, Murtazin is convinced Microsoft is "paying for all R&D costs, etc."
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 481
Points 3,825
RiCoFrost replied on Thu, Jan 16 2014 5:32 PM

Samsung is the top phone company right now so they want to make sure they continue releasing windows phones with Samsung.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Thu, Jan 16 2014 10:10 PM

This is seed money for Microsoft, and I think they're doing the right thing. I wouldn't mind having a Windows phone if it were available on a desirable phone for a good price. I'm currently running Android 4.3 on my Galaxy S3, but I'm open to change (please - no Apple). The only Android app that I absolutely need is Torque, which allows me to read the OBD trouble codes when one of my vehicles is showing a CHECK ENGINE light. I'm sure Torque, or something similar, would become available for Windows if it becomes more mainstream.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS