Shortcuts

AMD's Kaveri Arrives WIth Full Support For HSA, Faster Graphics, and Improved CPU Cores

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,186,000
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jan 14 2014 3:58 PM
Both Intel and AMD have quite successfully combined CPU and GPU engines onto single chips, but up to this point they have tended to work as autonomous islands. The CPU and GPU share some resources, but not a single memory pool. That changes today though, with the official launch of AMD’s Kaveri-based APUs, the first APUs to truly support heterogeneous computing.

Kaveri combines AMD’s latest Steamroller CPU microarchitecture with a GCN-based graphics engine, with up to 512 stream processors. Peak CPU clocks will vary depending on model, but the graphics clock maxes out at 720MHz. These AMD desktop-targeted APUs will carry TDPs of 45W – 95W.

The GCN-based graphics engine in Kaveri is a major step-up over the previous-gen, and much more powerful than Intel’s mainstream offerings but how does AMD's new CPU core measure up to Intel and what does the total Kaveri package bring to the table for mainstream consumers? 

Read on and we'll step through AMD's new Kaveri APU in detail along with the benchmarks.
  • | Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 115

if Kaveri allowed me to take full advantage of Mantle, while using an NVIDIA GeForce GPU, then maybe I would consider the mediocre $173 model. I dont do as much CPU intensive stuff anymore, so I dont have too much use for a monster Intel CPU, especially if I can save money and get all the benefits of Mantle while still have a monster Nvid card with PhysX support

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 516
Points 4,150
RiCoFrost replied on Tue, Jan 14 2014 4:56 PM

I really do wish all the best with AMD i hope they can beat Intel for again. It really is nice to see them come back.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,102
Points 11,170
CDeeter replied on Tue, Jan 14 2014 7:45 PM

I really hope that developers do take advantage of all the resources that Kaveri presents to them. If they do, I think we may be on the threshold of a whole new computing paradigm.

And keep in mind the results were from the slowest example. How much faster the A10 will be remains to be seen. This could be fun!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 65

The 7850K is so overpriced. Why would you buy it over a 4670K

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50
Andrymgs18 replied on Sat, Mar 15 2014 12:24 AM

I have bought a8-6600k for 90euro in January. Can i use Kaveri apu on fm2 motherboard ????

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS