Sony's 4.2 Million PlayStation 4 Sales Trump Microsoft's Xbox One

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,610
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jan 8 2014 10:10 AM
Sony's big product launch came a couple months ahead of the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) that's currently taking place in Las Vegas, but it will likely draw the lion's share of attention in Sony's product lineup this year. We're of course referring to the PlayStation 4 (PS4), sales of which are a step ahead of Microsoft's Xbox One at this early stage.

According to Sony, cumulative sales of the PS4 through December 28, 2013 have reached 4.2 million units worldwide. That compares to favorably to the Xbox One, which has seen 3 million unit shipments to date. For what it's worth, the PS4 launched a week before the Xbox One, but that alone doesn't account for sales discrepancy. It seems that the PS4's lower price tag might be a deciding factor for some.

PlayStation 4

"The momentum of the PS4 system keeps getting stronger and we couldn't be more thrilled gamers worldwide are enjoying the incredibly immersive gaming experiences along with deep social capabilities and entertainment provided by our network," said Andrew House, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "After a remarkable launch, we look forward to bringing even more exciting content and continuing to explore the power of the PS4 system by adding new features and services, including PlayStation Now, in 2014."

As you would expect, games are flying off store shelves as well. By Sony's figures, PS4 software titles remained strong through the holiday season with more than 9.7 million copies sold in retail stores around the globe. No surprise that some of the top selling titles include Call of Duty: Ghosts, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Battlefield 4, FIFA 14, and Killzone Shadow Fall.
HotHardware CES 2014 News And Events
Brought To You By:

DELL - The Power To Do MORE
  • | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 25

M$ take note of this...sell the xboxone for 399 w/o the kinect

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 245
JesseLiss replied on Wed, Jan 8 2014 12:06 PM

And yet I haven't touched my PS4 since the week of launch, because there are no freaking games for it.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,036
Points 9,635
sevags replied on Wed, Jan 8 2014 12:56 PM

Even if the XBOne sells for 399 without Kinect2 there are still people like me who will only buy it with the sensor, that extra $100 I am sure if not a factor holding back anyone wanting an XBOne even if they do complain about it.

What ever happened to the idea of selling consoles sort of like they do cellphones? Pay a smaller amount for the hardware but be locked into a pricier contract for XB Live! Or try what Amazon did with the Kindle, sell me a console and charge me $100 every other month for a year, that would make me buy a console today rather than wait 6-9 months for games, bug fixes, and possible price drops.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Brenden Shea Lulz? lolololol jk bra

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Points 4,565

Doesnt PS outsell Xbox every new system at the start?

Here in Australia Xbox is $599 PS4 is $559 or $639 with the camera when you compare it PS4 is more expensive.

I don't think its the price point its just who wants what games.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 75

Kinect is great; everything makes use of it. General voice commands browsing the different apps, netflix etc are just awesome.

I'm very happy with my Xbox One in every way, especially its lineup of games and initial releases. It's well worth the $499 price-tag.

Both are great machines either way you put it; and they both deliver superb graphics and entertainment.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS