Dry Your Eyes, Winamp May Not Shut Down Today After All

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,386
Points 1,192,320
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Dec 20 2013 10:42 AM
Today was supposed to be Winamp’s last on earth, but some last-minute nerd heroics may save the beloved music player. The rumor that Microsoft might snag both Winamp and ShoutCast from AOL appears to be legit, as TechCrunch reports that a deal is being finalized as you’re reading this.

The site’s source didn’t specify that Microsoft is the potential buyer, but it would make sense considering the previous rumor. While the particulars are being nailed down, it’s likely that Winamp will be left alone in the interest of both parties.

Spotiamp
Spotiamp

Regardless whether or not Winamp is the recipient of a holiday miracle, there’s a nifty piece of software called Spotiamp that will let you continue to enjoy that retro Winamp flavor as you stream your tunes.

Spotiamp works with Spotify Premium and employs the Winamp UI to create a vintage experience. The tool also includes ShoutCast support and Winamp visualizations.

Nerts to all the llamas.
  • | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 395

There goes the hope of open sourcing it. Microsoft will probably butcher it somehow, they are pretty good at coming up with bad ideas.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,036
Points 9,635
sevags replied on Fri, Dec 20 2013 1:38 PM

WOOHOO!!!! I had already signed the partition and I downloaded the installation files for both the full version and the Lite version to permanently store on my HDD. I am glad there is going to be a future for Winamp.

RZielaskowski; I know there is always some concern when a company or product we as consumers like is bought out by another company, people don't inherently enjoy change especially bad change. On this front though I don't feel as concerned as MS has been trying to make inroads when it comes to audio for a while now and their new system of bolting on software to their OS such as the inclusion of apps rather than butchering something and tightly integrating it into the OS might insure that Winamp stays more of a tangible piece of software rather than being integrated into the background. One can only hope though.

Not Ranked
Posts 76
Points 500

Haven't used winamp in years

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 155

I keep seeing updates. Today I saw another beta version.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 98
Points 670
ECouts replied on Fri, Dec 20 2013 6:36 PM

Crud. Sorry Foobar2000.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

YEAS!!!!!