No More Woof Translates Dog Thoughs into English, Seeks $10K Funding on Indiegogo

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,861
Points 1,172,065
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Dec 18 2013 12:55 PM
Have you ever wondered what your dog is trying to say when he gives you a funny look? A unique Indiegogo campaign for "No More Woof" seeks to solve that problem by translating your dog's thought patterns into English so you know exactly what Fido is thinking. The way it goes about this is by using Electroencephalogram (EEG) to analyze animal thought patterns, which are then spelled out in human language using a loudspeaker.

Campaign details are a little fuzzy and the developers are very upfront about the fact that this isn't a finished product, but a work in progress that it hopes to finish with the help of donations. Be that as it may, No More Woof is embarking on an interesting path by focusing on neural patterns rather than the different types of barks and growls.

No More Woof

"It is worth pointing out that dogs 'think' in a different way than humans. Whereas the dog's brain signals might indicate hunger, that does of course not really mean the dog is 'thinking' that, it's rather more a mental state than a 'thought' although the difference between these two things is actually an interesting philosophical question, for those who are into these things," the developers explain on their Indiegogo page.

One of the challenges of using EEG on pets is that of placement for best comfort. What they've come up with is a lightweight, headset-like device with small sensors and a Raspberry Pi nestled inside. It doesn't require shaving the pet's head or anything like that, though we're skeptical that all dogs will be as willing to wear it as the one in the video demonstration.

You can read more and optionally support the project by heading over to No More Woof's Indiegogo page.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 234
Points 1,805
ForumsAdministrator
scolaner replied on Wed, Dec 18 2013 1:35 PM

Ohhh come on. Really? I mean come on.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 608
Points 5,495
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Wed, Dec 18 2013 1:38 PM

I've had the same product idea for translating death metal into English.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 915
KOwen replied on Wed, Dec 18 2013 3:06 PM

Let's get this technology perfected on human thoughts first b4 we try to get it to work on animals.

Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 170
ErazmusNZ replied on Wed, Dec 18 2013 4:18 PM

Reminds me of a certain kids movie... "Steve!" -> "Shrimpanzee!" -> "STEVE!!!"

Not Ranked
Posts 74
Points 475

I really don't want to know what humans think, you think I need my dog bothering me?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Wed, Dec 18 2013 7:38 PM

KOwen; I understand what you are saying but some peoples priorities are different than others some people might want to know what their pets are thinking and not very much worried what other humans are thinking. Dog's may think differently than humans but if they can figure out what a dog is thinking there would be a lot less to program than a human as we have very long and complex thought patterns. The biggest reason to cheer them on in this effort is because anything they learn will eventually trickle up to use for humans. Research in this field really wouldn't be a waste no matter what their intended audience is. My complaint is I want a version for cats =D

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 102
Points 305
kalqlate replied on Wed, Dec 18 2013 8:58 PM

Hahaha... I betcha the final product will amount to nothing more than a random phrase (thought) generator. :D

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

Woof! -- Hello!

Woof-woof! -- Goodbye!

Wuf-wuf! -- Hungry!

Grrrrr-woof! -- Very Hungry!

Grrrrrrrrrrr! -- Cat!

woof -- Stroke me!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 234
Points 1,805
ForumsAdministrator
scolaner replied on Thu, Dec 19 2013 12:27 PM

Don't you think that the cat version would just be all expletives and put-downs, though? ;)

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 60
Kite-G replied on Thu, Dec 19 2013 7:06 PM

You are the future. 
I don't even know how they manage to put up the lyrics. there must be some translator out there already. Stick out tongue 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Mon, Dec 23 2013 3:40 PM

Scolaner; rofl maybe! But it would be funny to listen to! I have two cats who I would like to think would just complain about food and me sitting around all the time.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS