NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Technology Explored and It's HOT Hardware

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,818
Points 1,166,575
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Dec 12 2013 9:11 AM
Back in September at a press event held in Montreal, NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang announced what he called “one of the most important works NVIDIA has done for computer graphics.” The technology was called G-SYNC. G-SYNC is an end-to-end graphics and display architecture that starts with a Kepler-based GPU and ends with a G-SYNC module within a monitor.

To put it simply, what G-SYNC does is keep a display and the output from a Kepler-basd GPU in sync, regardless of frame rates or whether or not V-Sync is enabled.

Did we mention that G-SYNC is also compatible with 4K resolutions? It is, and we hope someone manufacturers will make a 30-inch+ 4K display with this new NVIDIA technology on board. If they do, they can take our money right now

• | Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 755
basroil replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 9:36 AM

G-Sync will finally kill HDMI and DVI on desktops, since only DP can transfer using packets rather than timed signals. It might also make GPUs cheaper and faster, since you don't need to worry about GPU side timing as much, and finally have true 24p video without a 1k+ TV. Looking forward to it, and if they can make generic versions for dell monitors it's even better.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,542
Points 54,455
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 9:48 AM

It might be a while before HDMI and DVI are killed off but it's good to see the advancement and this is pretty significant technology for sure.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 225
RBloch replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 12:46 PM

Too bad it's an exclusive for Asus till the end of 2014. Big mistake.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 465

To bad I'm broke

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,542
Points 54,455
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 2:41 PM

No, not true. It is only Asus that's offering the upgradable monitor through the end of this year. Not next year.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 530
semitope replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 2:48 PM

the technology will work over HDMI. Not sure why it would kill DVI and HDMI. Sounds like most of the processing goes on in the monitor and it simply waits for signals from the GPU. The GPU is only kinda in control in that it is a bottleneck.

Is there actually special hardware in the GPU? It sounds like any GPU, even AMD, could end up working with this. The problem is nvidia and their obsession with proprietary but monitor manufacturers could implement their own technology that would work with any GPU and market it themselves, right? They can finally start labelling their products "Smart" monitors

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Points 590

I would like to see this thing in action, plus dont know when I would be able to get it or afford one, i just bought a 27in 2560x1440 IPS screen.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 358
Points 2,565

Another gadget to send me further into the poor house. Yes!

Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 755
basroil replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 11:13 PM

"It might be a while before HDMI and DVI are killed off"

Never said it would be overnight, but DP was designed to replace DVI and still nobody uses it, so a killer application might be the push it needs to get rid of DVI by 2016-18.

"the technology will work over HDMI. Not sure why it would kill DVI and HDMI"

It will NOT work with DVI and HDMI, at least not in a way that would allow them to still use the trademarked names and call it DVI/HDMI. While the cables are perfectly fine, DVI is only timing based with fixed clocks according to specifications, and HDMI is a superset of DVI. DP gets around the timings issue by being programmable packet based communication, so theoretically you can set your link clock to the maximum and just send the right timing data along with the image data. DVI and HDMI could theoretically allow for such use, but it would likely require dropping TDMS which I doubt they would want (since that's a separate technology and they can double charge you)

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 50

I dont agree that it will kill HDMI/DVI. but it will certainly make an impact in the next few years.

Not Ranked
Posts 70
Points 475

Agreed. It can't kill off HDMI/DVI. VGA is still around and it will continue to be. DP will increase as more monitors have it and support it.

I just can't wait for ASUS ROG 27inch GSync...I just wish it wouldn't be 800 bucks.

PSN: d367ruc70

Steam/Origin: d367ruc70

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 230

Does this work with any kind of LCD monitor?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS