iBuypower Reveals First Steam Machine Prototypes

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,749
Points 1,210,425
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Nov 26 2013 10:54 AM
Part of Valve’s Steam Machines gaming strategy is to employ third-party builders, and the first of those has been revealed. Boutique gaming PC builder iBuypower showed off its first two Steam Machine prototypes, dubbed Gordon and Freeman, that will enter the market to compete with gaming consoles mainstays Xbox One and PS4.

The two models are the same, but one has a clear light band around the middle while the other remains black when it’s not lit (according to Engadget), and they’re currently running an almost-finished version of Steam OS. Of course, they’ll ship with at least one Steam Controller, too.

iBuypower steam machine prototype
iBuypower Steam Machine prototype (Credit: The Verge)

There’s not a lot known about the internals, but the boxes will have WiFi, Bluetooth, and 500GB hard drive, as well as an integrated power supply, and it will run any Steam games at 1080p at 60fps.

iBuypower’s machines run an AMD multicore CPU and an AMD Radeon R9 270 graphics card and that Gordon and/or Freeman will cost $499.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 635
Points 5,705
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Tue, Nov 26 2013 3:25 PM

Compared to the current fleet of consoles, iBUYPOWER has certainly taken the route of simplicity (which isn't really a bad thing). I like the look of it, but I'd actually opt for a black box I think, and wouldn't object the logo up top being colored white, like the real Steam logo.

Unlike the current consoles though, there will be a ton of variations of these, so it shouldn't be too hard to get one that suits your style best.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 360

Hmmm...looks kind of cool. Many people have been anticipating this system for a long time. The one issue that I see is the price. For the same price as one of these systems, I would upgrade my video card and get hard drive bigger than 500GB to run my Steam games on. I could also run many other games and apps that are not Steam with those upgrades. Unless they are ready to cut the computer based gaming cable, they will probably only see marginal interest in their game system. I would rather invest in a new computer setup with an awesome video card that can play Steam games than invest in something I can live without. Now if they offered the Steam OS for computer systems, I could see them making a profit if they choose to not cut the cord.

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 325
JMeloni replied on Tue, Nov 26 2013 8:08 PM

Wallace Santos - I hope maingear gets in on this

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 55

As someone looking to purchase a great gaming pc on the cheap this is amazing! I cannot wait to order one!!!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS