PlayStation 4 Teardown Shows Sony Isn't Afraid To Bare All

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,209,800
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Nov 7 2013 1:50 PM

The upcoming console generation has proven itself to be quite different than those of past. One of the major changes, of course, is the move to the x86 platform both on the Microsoft and Sony side, and how this will affect things down the road (think: security) will be interesting to watch play out.

Here's another major difference: A vendor that does a teardown of their own console before launch. This is something we would have never seen with the previous generations - yet, Sony has gone ahead and torn down a perfectly good PlayStation 4 to help us understand its efficient design better. Behold: All of the parts laid on the table.

Credit: Wired

Another major difference between this next-gen and consoles of the past is ultra-sleek designs. The PS4 box is thin, about as thin as a box that an Ultrabook notebook would ship in. To build a console that's to be reliable, and offer ample performance, Sony had to be very creative about the console's design, and clearly, it's pleased with its work.

Like the PS3, the PS4 has its power adapter built right into the console, so there'll be no need to have a massive brick hogging up room on the floor (I still cringe when thinking of the original Xbox 360 power brick). Past that, the PS4 also packs in DVD/Blu-ray support, and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless - overall, it's a robust featureset.

Credit: Wired

I can't help but wonder if Microsoft will come forth with a teardown of its own, given Sony's lead. Admittedly, a teardown isn't important, but they sure are appreciated.

• | Post Points: 125
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 80

what's with all the hate towards power bricks? Seems the more sensible option.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,079
Points 10,000
sevags replied on Thu, Nov 7 2013 4:06 PM

I don't mean to be anti ps4 with this question... But am I the only one who finds the angular ps4 unattractive? Inside is laid out nicely though

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,691
Points 55,920
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Nov 7 2013 4:36 PM

I like the design personally. It's looks a heck of a lot leaner than Xbox One.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,368
Points 48,730
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Thu, Nov 7 2013 5:20 PM

Wired had an Xbox One semi-teardown months ago:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one-development-photos/?viewall=true

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 90

That's really all you could come up with to say?

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 80

if it needs the power I guess, but an external component that can be replaced without sending in the whole system seems logical.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

they may not be afraid but I sure as hell am .where does the heat go?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS