BOO! Linus Torvalds Says Linux Ain’t Afraid of No Free Apple OS X Mavericks

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,186,015
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Oct 25 2013 10:02 AM
Some of the reactions to Apple's decision to make OS X 10.9 Mavericks a free upgrade have been a little over the top, especially in relation to Windows, which we think will be just fine in this so-called "new era," as the Cupertino company calls it. However, if we're talking about free software, Linux certainly needs to be in the discussion.

During a question and answer session at LinuxCon Europe in Edinburg on Wednesday, Linus Torvalds pointed out that Linux has been free for over two decades," NetworkWorld reports. However, Apple's move into pro bono territory isn't the same as the philosophy behind Linux, he says. It's one of the reasons why he uses the term "open source" rather than "free software."

Linus Torvalds

"The fact that Apple gives the OS away is completely irrelevant. I don't think it impacts Linux at all," Torvalds said.

His point is that being open and being free are two completely different things. It's the reason he feels confidant Linux will thrive even if something tragic happened to him, like being hit by a bus, or less tragic, like deciding to retire. With or without him, "Linux will keep on evolving and improving in the same way," Torvalds said.

Linux has a less than 2 percent share of the overall desktop OS market, though if you extend the category to mobile devices and include Android in the mix, Linux jumps ahead of the competition, including both iOS and Windows.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 620
Points 5,570
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 10:56 AM

"Apple's move into pro bono territory isn't the same as the philosophy behind Linux"

Bingo. Linux is open-source, and it supports a wide-range of hardware. It doesn't need to be installed on a specific machine, which OS X does.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 1:56 PM

Yeah definitely completely different. Also Mac devices are ridiculously expensive so I pay almost a minimum of around 1000$ for their free update or I could chose Linux software on a 35$ raspberry pi or just about any priced rig I choose that doesn't have fruit on it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,015
Points 9,500
sevags replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 7:42 PM

I don't understand the big hoopla over free Mavericks. Actually I don't undrrstand the dealio when it comes to free windows 8.1 either. Neither one is a "new" OS!!!! They might as well both be free service packs! I just updated my Air to Mavericks and all I have to ask is where is it diffrrent???? Other than iBooks which I just consider bloatware anyway. A new version of OS X only costs $20 any way which isn't a big deal at all but it I had to pay $20 for Mavericks I would feel COMPLETLY ripped off!!!!!!!!!! Also who says Apples next OS update or completely new OS will also be free? I think apple aknowledges that Mavericks isn't worthy of being paid for but catches everyone up on services offered that do cost users money so in the end they still win. Doesn't mean this is going to be how their OS sales model stays once apple feels a future update is worthy of being paid for.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Bottom Line?: It really doesn't matter WHAT Apple OR Windows does, they're both finally......after all these years starting to realize JUST how powerful and how big of a "threat" Linux really is. I mean c'mon, we hear all the time about how "little" a marketshare Linux has on the desktop, but nowadays..its about cloud, mobile/tablets/smartphones and SERVERS.....and in those aspects LINUX is the 800 Lb. gorilla in the room! So I give Microsoft my condolences, Apple a pat-on-the-back...and to Linux?...goes the "World Cup"! Hahahaa!! LoL!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS