Oculus CEO Thinks They've Solved The Motion Sickness Problem With Oculus Rift VR Headset

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,161
Points 1,185,460
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Oct 19 2013 9:54 AM
Sometimes lost in these heady early days of the 3D and VR revolution is the major problem of motion sickness (or simulation sickness, if you will). Even the CEO of Oculus, the company that makes the promising Oculus Rift VR gaming headset, has struggled with the nausea caused by his company’s flagship product. However, he believes that they’ve solved that issue.

"I've gotten sick every time I've tried it. Every time until recently," CEO Brendan Iribe told a group at the Gaming Insiders conference in San Francisco. "In the last few weeks, I stayed in it for 45 minute sessions and I did not get sick with the new prototype. We are at the edge of bringing you no motion sickness content."

Oculus Rift VR headset, now with less motion sickness

He attributes that largely to improved latency (the goal is 5ms), and acknowledged that Oculus is driving forward and working on improving resolution, judder, field of view, user interface, and more.

There will come a day when VR gaming will be as run-of-the-mill as smartphones have become, and if products like the Oculus Rift continue to develop at the pace they have in the last year or so, that day may not be too far off.
  • | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 245

Solving the motion sickness problem would be a good thing...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,012
Points 9,455
sevags replied on Sat, Oct 19 2013 6:22 PM

I didn't know the CEO himself was complaining about motion sickness. It's better to admit it and work towards a solution rather than come out later and say "you're viewing it wrong".

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
no1 replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 6:26 PM

I wonder if the Oculus will make use of NVIDIA's new G-sync technology to reduce tearing? I'm guessing screen tearing would be something best avoided on a VR headset.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS