Bitcoin Value Plummets After Silk Road FBI Drug Bust

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,923
Points 1,118,155
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Oct 3 2013 11:45 AM
Bitcoin is a digital currency that has been rather volatile both in regard to its legality and in terms of its value. Up and down it goes, and the value has dropped again to $129 after hitting $140 the previous day in the wake of the shutdown of online marketplace Silk Road by the FBI.

Silk Road was a space where illegal drugs and other shady miscellany were allegedly sold, and the anonymity afforded by Bitcoin was certainly an appeal for buyers. Those Bitcoins--all $3.6 million worth--have now been “seized” by the FBI, and Silk Road’s owner Ross William Ulbricht (aka “Dread Pirate Roberts”) has been arrested.

Bitcoin

It’s likely that the arrest had something to do with the Bitcoin value drop, as Bitcoiners are skittish about the fact that the feds have all of Ulbricht’s records and data. "They're going to be pouring [sic] all over his records, getting subpoenas for every piece of data and account he has ever used and trying to figure out who all these different dealers are," Garth Bruen, a security expert at Internet consumer group Digital Citizens Alliance, told Reuters. "People are jumping ship."

Reuters also stated that Silk Road’s sales included over 9.5 million Bitcoins.
  • | Post Points: 125
Not Ranked
Posts 70
Points 480

When i mined I sold all mine for cash at the peak. $237 a piece.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Points 650
ECouts replied on Thu, Oct 3 2013 3:45 PM

Doesn't the FBI know the government's shutdown?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

Except the price has already been back up for almost 24 hours.

A Minotaur in the Metropolis.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 901
Points 8,345
sevags replied on Thu, Oct 3 2013 7:28 PM

Ecouts: hahahaha, seriously.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 55

yeah, no... that's not "Plummeting" and it's already stable again :P

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I never could get my bitcoin miner set up right. was too confusing on what I was supposed to do and no help doing it.

Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 245
JMeloni replied on Fri, Oct 4 2013 12:11 AM

It is stable again

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 60

Um yeah it is now 137.50 usd/bc. Pretty darn stable. If anything this makes the currency look quite robust.

But on the other hand don't you think it is a little bit strange that the takedown notice had the silk road camel logo as a watermark? Also, don't you think that the real owner of silk road would exit stage right if the feds came to his apartment to interview him about his fake ids getting intercepted at the border? Super Fishy.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS