Microsoft Caves and Releases Windows 8.1 to Developers

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,610
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Sep 9 2013 3:47 PM

Given the fact that one of the key components of potential success for Microsoft's Windows 8 app store is developers, you'd think that the company would be giving them as early access to its next major update as possible. Somehow, the company didn't see it that way, and thus severely limited access to the release candidate build of 8.1. After much outcry from the developer community, however, Microsoft has recanted its decision and has begun offering the much-sought-out build on both MSDN and TechNet.

Those with access to either of these services will be able to download both the non-Pro and Pro editions of Windows 8.1, along with Windows Server 2012 R2. For those who have a beefy enough MSDN or TechNet subscription to support it, the Enterprise edition will become available later this month.

For consumers, the final 8.1 release will go down in October, and personally, I can't wait. As someone who didn't originally enjoy Windows 8, that seems a bit odd to say - but that's the product of what can happen when you actually try it out rather than just jump to conclusions (something I'm great at).

As a bit of a side note; those who use Visual Studio and are planning to upgrade to the latest version will be happy to know that the 2013 release candidate has also been released this week - and it's about time, as it's been in beta for a while.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Points 1,390
detnight replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 11:48 PM

That is great but I do not think anything could make my wife like win8, she did not like going from XP to Vista. I have tried to like it but it is ok on a tablet but I do not want it on my PC. I will buy another hard drive and put win7 on her new computer and save the win8 HD and see if 8.1 can change my mine. Very happy that my PC and laptop have win7.

Asus M4A79T deluxe,AMD Athlon II X4 620,PNY GTX285 1gb,Patriot Viper DDR3 1333 8gb,Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro,Diamond ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Comb,Plextor DVD-CD burner,Patriot PS-100 SSD 32gb ,WD 500gb 32mg,Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower,Antec True Power Quattro 1000watts,Toshiba 40in 1080p for a monitor

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,036
Points 9,635
sevags replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 2:29 AM

Detnight; looks like your wife just doesn't like change. Answer me this, anyone out there, if you are using a PC like most people in the world do for just Internet, word processing, suedo video playback (YouTube), Facebook (not counting people who game or are in the IT field), what is the differnce between win95, 98, 2000, XP, ME, Vista, and 7.... Honestly what? The background changes? The icons become prettier? Fundamentally they are the same they boot the same the start button is the same the desktop your documents and yes Internet explorer. No one notices the file system changes, or the tweaks under the hood. For the average person who doesn't delve deep into their OS windows 7 is essentially a more stable improved version of windows95. Your wife likely noticed no difference from XP to vista other than possibly a slower boot time. Win8 has finally changed things but many of us who use it leave Metro and stay in desktop mode essentially making it like every MS OS before it, sans start button....

Like Rob said above sometimes you actually have to try something rather than jump to conclusions and when it comes to change like this with something we all grew up with it takes almost a year before we stop being stubborn and learn new tricks rather than be complacent with what we are using.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Points 1,390
detnight replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 9:24 AM

My wife does alot of picture editing. She has over 200gigs of pictues on her computer. My computer has Win7 on it and I do play alot of games and do alot of photos and videos.

I put Win7 on her computer yesterday(HP does not make it easy) and I am very happy with it. I will down load the 8.1 when onto the HD that came with the computer and play with it.

She will not even try to use my Nexus7 or the new Blueray player for the TV

Asus M4A79T deluxe,AMD Athlon II X4 620,PNY GTX285 1gb,Patriot Viper DDR3 1333 8gb,Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro,Diamond ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Comb,Plextor DVD-CD burner,Patriot PS-100 SSD 32gb ,WD 500gb 32mg,Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower,Antec True Power Quattro 1000watts,Toshiba 40in 1080p for a monitor

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS